My Week that Was - April 13

A Mt Horeb Kwik Trip. 4/6/24 dwm
 We ate breakfast at Fink's in Mt. Horeb. I had the breakfast sandwich that carries their name, egg and ham on an English muffin, it was very good. 

 We took a short drive through the country south of town to settle a mild dispute. My wife suggested I turn left at the next corner because there was a Kwik Trip, I replied there wasn't a Kwik Trip there, then turned to prove it.  "I hate it when you're right," she said.

 It was a cool and sunny morning, I waited until the afternoon before deciding whether to get on my bike. After finishing household chores, I pumped air in the tires and left around 2 (Read about it in Thursday's blog).

 Both of us watched the Iowa - South Carolina women's championship game. The first half was entertaining as the teams combined for 95 points.

 The Milwaukee Brewers first eight games got them to a 6 - 2 start. They've lost a couple pitchers, which they can't afford but I like the way they're playing. It's a small sample but they seem to be a better hitting team than last year and fast on the bases and on defense.   

Craft Soda. dwm

Back in January I wrote about our visit to the Sprecher Craft Brewery in Milwaukee.  We came back with a case of bottled soda - most of it root beer (regular and lo-cal), the rest, creamy orange (lo-cal), and Honey Crisp Apple. 

I popped the cap off a bottle at halftime to enjoy while the teams finished their on-court battle. The soda tastes like a creamy apple cider with a clear, crisp, light taste. It's a delightful change of pace and would go great with a meal.

Monday I was on the west-side of Madison. I took my camera to work in case I could get pictures during the eclipse. I also took a box of chocolate dipped homemade marshmallows that I shared with friends and colleagues. My wife sent them to be my snacks but they were too good not to share Besides, I didn't need to eat more than I already had!

Tuesday was another pizza party, but for the first time I couldn't call in my order to the Pizza Hut near our campus. Another store was also closed on Mondays; a third wouldn't take a delivery order over the phone. My last call was to Domino's. 

They had a computer take the call. It wasn't as smooth as an experienced order-taker but it was fine until the end when 'Emma' said the order would be ready in 15 to 20 minutes and hung up.  I didn't want the order in 20 minutes, I wanted it the next day!  I quickly called the store to cancel the order. I re-did the order on Tuesday.

Before the peak, 1:57 pm 4/8/24 dwm

 Tuesday's re-order was with "Alvin" who didn't ask me if I wanted extra cheese with each pizza I requested. I miss-hit the numbers on the phone when it asked for the zip code where my card was from, which thankfully moved me to an actual human.

 I corrected my mistake and requested delivery for 11:30, which is when the driver arrived. The pizzas were  a hit.

 Wednesday, I said good-bye to a colleague who is moving away. The good news is she'll be working remotely. 

 I tried one more Thursday to reach the Pizza Hut to learn what happened. This time I got through and learned their computer system went down, taking the phones with it. I'm counting on their phones ringing the next time I need a delivery.

The new Texas Roadhouse in Madison. 4/12/24

Friday was an off day. I went to the doctor for an annual physical, everything seems good for a guy my age. After the appointment, it was time to pick up a piece of lumber for the back deck.

I don't have a saw or other equipment for the job, so thankfully there is a local lumberyard that will do it for you. Brunsell Lumber on Madison's west side did a great job cutting it precisely. If I ever need something like this again someday, I'll go back.

The afternoon was spent removing the rotten board, then scraping old paint so the boards can be re-painted when the board is installed.

I scraped half the boards, planning to do the rest over the weekend. After cleaning up, we went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. It was one of our favorite places in Indianapolis when we basically lived across the street. A new location opened late last year near Madison's West Towne mall.

We love it. It's like going home. The food is good. The atmosphere is great. We like it, and we'll go again. 

I hope you have a great week, thanks for reading!

Comments