My Week that Was - April 8

Wind damage from the storm. 4/1/23

 The season's first thunderstorm didn't do much damage around us but it seems to be responsible for knocking out some of the soffits on our roof.  There was more damage elsewhere and two tornadoes touching down east of us.

  I sent the picture of the damage to the condo association president and she contacted the repair folks, so we should be back in order quickly.

 Saturday morning we tried a new place for breakfast, Fink's Cafe in Mt Horeb.  It's a small diner tucked in between shops at the west end of the community's downtown.  

 We've driven by in the past, this time we gave it a shot.  It's small with room for 25 guests with a clean, modest interior.  Framed puzzles line the walls.  The shop is a breakfast and lunch cafe with a two-sided menu.  I went with a half order of french toast which was delicious, a cup of hot tea, and chocolate milk.

 It was an unexpected treat and great way to start our day.

Breakfast at Fink's in Mt Horeb. 4/1/23 dwm
On the way home, we stopped a couple places to pick up things we need at home and I dropped by Atkins Bike Shop to pick up a bike horn, which I'll use later this month, not on my bike.

One of the newer things at church is a puppet ministry for the kids during the children's message.  I'm not the demographic for this one - the kids seem to like it.

Churches are trying a variety of ways to deliver the Good News because it's difficult to know which type of message connects with an individual.  Contemporary music or traditional; older forms of language or put into the language of the day - as long as the message is delivered there is an opportunity for it to be heard.
 
 Monday morning while eating breakfast, I heard the news report a car fire on Interstate 39 was creating a long backup of cars.  The fire was near the exit I use to get to Oakwood's Prairie Ridge campus; when the anchor said the Department of Transportation didn't expect it to clear for a couple hours, I changed my route to work.
 
Cross' puppet ministry Palm Sunday. 4/2/23 dwm
 Instead of using the Beltline and Interstate, I drove across the Isthmus on busy city streets during rush hour that were down to one lane because of construction.  It went fine, there was a near-miss when I observed the car which stopped behind me at a stop light was rear-ended by the car behind them which didn't stop in time.

Wisconsin's off-year election had the nation's attention as Republicans and Democrats battled in what is technically a non-partisan election. The conservative judge, Dan Kelly, a former member of the Supreme Court, facing off with Janet Protasiewicz, the liberal judicial candidate disagreed on almost every topic including the proper way to hang a roll of toilet paper (just kidding).
 
20 minutes before the polls opened. 4/4/23 dwm
The winner likely impacts court decisions a long time in a state where the court's makeup has an oversized role in determining which laws are in place. 

The week has been busy with several donor visits on the calendar, including a couple I've not met with for several years; it was nice catching up with them.

Thursday had a strange start when I couldn't get my laptop to turn on.  I tried several different approaches to booting up the computer, it wasn't until I unplugged the docking station for 30 seconds then reconnected the power supply that I was back in business.
 
Friday I had an appointment with the Red Cross.  I set it up 7 weeks earlier and confirmed my visit with them twice in the days before the appointment.  After I walked through the doors, their scanner read my identification number and the screen flashed "confirmed."

That's when the volunteer receptionist asked my name.  I told her and she couldn't find it on the list.  She consulted with the woman in charge of whole blood donations and shortly after I was told they didn't have enough staff to take my blood.

I told her about the early appointment and multiple confirmations but with just a few people on hand and most of them trainees, they just couldn't take my blood.  There must be a glitch in their technology; this is the third or fourth time I've had an appointment cancelled but the first time it happened after I was inside the door.

After leaving I called the Red Cross helpline to have the day's appointment erased since the app wouldn't have allowed me to schedule another visit before the next 8 weeks were past.  Thankfully, that was taken care of and I have another appointment a few weeks down the road... we'll see if I can give then.

That's my week, I hope you have a good one, Happy Easter!

Comments