10 Years a Blogger

Hello again.  Thanks for reading.  Some of you have been around this space 10 years now, congratulations!

July 21, 2012 was a quiet open with more questions than answers in terms of how this thing would work.  It took a few years before I posted about individual covered bridges but puns have been here since the start.

I hoped to keep a regular schedule.

There was a three-year span starting January 1, 2013 where I published at least once a day.  

That schedule became hard to maintain and come up with ideas, several posts each month reflected something on the "Wacky holidays and dates" during each calendar year.  (For example, last Sunday's post about National Ice Cream Day is a wacky holiday reference.) 

This is blog 2,794.  As of 1:55 PM CDT They used to call me Pointdexter has been viewed 226,000 times.  One-third of you are between the ages of 25 and 34; 54% of you are male; and readers have a variety of interests as the biggest area of interest specified only hits 5% of the readership.  In other words, you and I have different tastes and interests.

Over these ten years I've been surprised by which blogs gain more traction than others and thrilled to hear from readers who comment or say something.  One former colleague told me last year he is a regular reader.  His wife told me when she hears him laugh, it means he's reading a post.

More family and friends pay attention than I expected.  While I don't think this blog has been all that revealing through the years, I like sharing my thoughts, perspective, and ideas.  

We are in a space as a nation and world with little latitude or patience for those with different ideas.  I'll agree some issues may have only one correct viewpoint, however, it would do us well to listen both directions.  Our world and cyberspace are not friendly to nuance and thoughtfulness, I hope we can do better on that score.  There are times (not every time) it's OK to agree to disagree.

I appreciate you sticking with me - whether it's been a week or since the start.

Another blog milestone is coming up soon, so I'm saving some of lists for that post but here are two lists of Top Three posts and pages that display some of the most-viewed.

The top three blogs in terms of viewership:

3.  "Teachers and Leaders" posted March 4, 2015 read by 111 viewers

2.  "Back to Donutland" posted recently, July 10, 2022 read by 145 viewers

1.  "The Wright Stuff" posted July 31, 2016 read by 153 viewers.

The most visited pages are where multiple posts are accumulated by topic:

3.  "Lighthouse Visits" has 300 visitors - this page has links to all the lighthouse posts and videos

2. "Biking to Bucky on Parade" has 307.  In 2018, Bucky Badger statues were on display around Dane County, Wisconsin.  I rode to each one, wrote about them, spoke about them, and then did some videos - this page is one-stop page to see them all.

1. "My Covered Bridge Collection" leads with 615.  Since 2009, we've visited all the bridges in the upper Midwest and a few outside the six states in the upper-middle of the country.  This page has links to all the posts.

Comments