I Scream, You Scream

Babcock Hall's Orange Chocolate Chip. 9/2/17
38 years ago, President Reagan declared the third Sunday of July as National Ice Cream Day and July National Ice Cream Month.  Some presidential experts thought this was the key accomplishment of his administration.

Seriously, though, it is worth recognizing the value of ice cream.  It is also worth recognizing that moderation in consuming ice cream is a good idea.

When Covid shut down the Oakwood campus, I helped run the campus grocery store and was heartened to see a majority of residents purchased a half-gallon of ice cream.

There are a lot more than 31 flavors of ice cream.  I'm partial to chocolate chip; chocolate chip cookie dough; and Mackinaw Island Fudge. 

Ten years ago, when we came to Madison to interview with Oakwood, my future boss suggested we stop at Babcock Hall on the University of Wisconsin campus for a scoop of Orange Chocolate Chip.  I like orange and really like chocolate chip.  I didn't think I would like them together but it was a perfect mix of flavors.

Vanilla remains the top selling flavor because it goes with anything: pancakes, pie, cakes, cookies, and cereal.

Whatever your favorite flavor, I suggest you go out and celebrate.

Photo by the author.

Comments