Honor Your Elders

An older person in Gatlinburg, TN. 7/10/24 dwm
 October 1 is the International Day of Older Persons. Curiously, in the page about it in NationalToday.com, there is no definition of when we cross that threshold.

 It's relative. When I was 6, the kid in second grade was an older person. At 61, I'm older than a whole bunch of people, but I'm younger than a lot of people I know and respect.

 The day was set by the United Nations in 1990, when I was 27 (I didn't feel old then)!

  As a child, I learned to respect my teachers, parents, and others older than me. 

While reporting in South Dakota, I covered a meeting on the Rosebud Reservation to cover a meeting where Russell Means was speaking. As a featured guest, he was invited to the podium, but he wouldn't speak until the elders present had an opportunity. It was an impactful moment and humbling to see such a demonstration of respect.

Recently, I'm noticing people call me "sir," that's nice and unsettling at the same time. I appreciate the remark while not feeling particularly old.

There are ways to respect and honor older individuals - pay them a visit, have a conversation, offer to help with a task, invite them to coffee. You don't have to restrict these activities to today, they are great ideas for people of all ages, all the time! 

Comments