Respect Your Elders


Stand up in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God.
Leviticus 19 : 32

As the saying goes, I resemble that remark.

Thinking across my life - the most vivid and instructive example of this admonition occurred on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in south-central South Dakota.

Russell Means, a well - known Native American speaker and activist, was at the Tribal Council meeting and I was there to cover his appearance for KELO-TV.

The crowd was larger than usual to see and hear him speak.

But what I remember most was that when the meeting started, Mr. Means did not speak until each and every elder of the Tribe had an opportunity to speak their peace.

Minutes later, after they were finished did he then take the floor.

Just looking around the room at the time, it wasn't seen as significant.  He did this without any fanfare and didn't do it to call attention to himself in front of the camera.  It's the way the tribe conducted it's business.

I was impressed.

Lutheran High School of Indianapolis is the only place I've worked where I was on the receiving end of hear "Mr."  It was kind of nice, even if it felt strange to me.  Could I really be old enough to be addressed this way?  But the respect of students for adults was appreciated and certainly part of the education.  Since I've left and many have graduated, I've told them they may use my first name.

You might be like me.  It is pretty much impossible to address a former teacher; no matter how old I am now, to call them by first name.

They will always be Mr. Gersmehl or Mrs. Nienow or Mr. Ebeling.

R - e - s - p - e - c - t is not to be taken lightly.  It's a good practice.  It seems that it is especially the case when some of our friends and neighbors lose sight of  the reasons for it.

Whether you like the president's stance on the issues or not, out of respect for the office, that person is Mr. (or at some point Ms. or Mrs. President)  Judges are "Your Honor." 

Respect our elders and revere our God - very good advice that stands the test of time.

Comments