My Week that Was - September 21

Wisconsin wetland. 9/14/24 dwm photo
 I got out early Saturday for a long ride, but not too long, because I wanted to be home in time for the Badger game. 
 
 Wisconsin was the underdog against Alabama, a top 5 team in the country. Most fans hoped it would be close, me included. It was for much of the first half, then the Tide padded its lead.
 
 The Badgers lost their starting quarterback for the season when he was hurt on the first series of the game. Bucky's men looked promising at times but they need to realize that potential in a hurry.
 
We started a new series to binge-watch, Newhart. It's Bob Newhart as Dick Loudon and Mary Frann as his wife, Joanna, leaving New York City to run a bed and breakfast in Vermont. It first aired in 1982, when I was a college sophomore and watched virtually no television (I didn't have a TV in my room and was busy doing other things). It's not great TV but its fun to rewind with a show we enjoyed during its first run.

The Packers won their home-opener against the Indianapolis Colts to even their record. After losing starting QB Jordan Love in the first game, the Pack had to find a different way to win and they did by pounding the ball on the ground with backup Mailik Willis under center. The defense shut down the Colts offense most of the game and the Packer offense controlled the ball.

The day after the game it wasn't clear who would be Green Bay's quarterback against the Titans.  Jordan Love is doing better than expected when he was hurt in the first game. If Love isn't able to go, there will be fewer questions going into Nashville on Sunday.

After a cool start to September, we've had an extended period with above average temperatures, Tuesday reached the upper 80s when the average is in the middle 70s. It's also been dry. That isn't usually a problem as the growing season comes to an end but it would be nice to get some widespread rain. 

Wednesday was busy. I made quite a few phone calls, had an appointment and a meeting to finalize our next appeal. When a busy day is productive, that's a good day at the office.

A birthday cinnamon roll. 9/20/24 dwm
 Thursday was the last day of my week. We had a board meeting, which went well. After the meeting I delivered a gift to a donor who qualified for one of our societies for the first time. In the afternoon, our team spent time reviewing our on-going transition to a new database. 
 
 Overnight Thursday into Friday, we received more rain than was forecast. It may not solve the dry conditions but it seemed to go a long way.
 
 I took Friday off because I had tickets for last night's Brewer game and it's my birthday. After the daily workout, we went to breakfast at the Vessel Cafe in Cross Plains.
 
We've eaten there a few times since they opened three years ago, it's a family-owned place with friendly people and good food. 

The Oakwood fruit farm. 9/20/24 dwm
After we ordered and sat down, the owner brought over our drinks and a small clam-shell box with a small cinnamon roll inside. It was delicious, after a taste-test, my wife thought its unique taste was because of a combination of cinnamon and cardamon. The pancake I ordered was very good - hearty and filling, not bad for a single pancake.

Then we drove west to the Oakwood Fruit Farm near Richland Center. There is no connection between it and where I work in Madison; there are a lot of "Oakwood" this or than throughout the area.

My new pair of shoes! 9/20/24 dwm
 After the big rain, skies were clearing as we got there which created great photo opportunities. I'll share more in a future blog. 
 
 The one above right is a look at some of their apple trees, carefully trimmed to be supported by wires strung between posts at the end of each row. We came home with cider donuts, apples, and apple cider.

 On the way back we stopped at the Shoe Box in Black Earth. I've written about them before, too. It's the largest independent shoe store in the Midwest.  
 
 The personal service is great. I wanted to make sure my size hadn't changed since I last purchased running shoes. On the recommendation of the shoe expert I switched from New Balance to Brooks. I wore my last pair too long, maybe two years (?), I'll make a switch sooner next time.

A B-day glass of Spotted Cow. dwm
Other than stopping to pick up a few supplies, our last stop was at The Nitty Gritty. There are three locations around Madison. Most of us have our first Nitty Gritty experience on our special day or the birthday of someone we love. 

The restaurant I wrote about in the linked blog is the original location. The place we went for lunch is in Middleton. 
 
If it's your birthday, you get a commemorative mug or glass filled with soda or beer; a nearly 100% discount on an amazing hamburger; and a card good for 12 mini-ice cream sundaes. They used to handout balloons, this year I received a glow ring.

The cherry on the birthday sundae was going to the Diamondbacks game in American Family Field against the National League Central Champion Milwaukee Brewers last night!  

Given my now advanced age, I won't write about it here, but please come back tomorrow.

Thanks for your present of regularly reading this little ol' blog. Have a great week!

Comments