My Week that Was - August 17

The week began at State Fair. 8/10/24 dwm
 Bright and early Saturday morning, we stopped at Kwik Trip to fill the gas tank and grab something to eat on the way to State Fair.

 As I walked back to the car, I noticed a low tire. I took it to their air pump to fill it. Something seemed wrong, the tire wasn't filling and it seemed like air was coming out. Thankfully, I stopped before it was flat.

 We drove home to switch cars, leaving that problem for later. While we didn't arrive when I planned, there weren't many cars outside the gates. It wasn't until we were on the grounds that we learned all buildings were closed until 10.

We had a good day at the fair. You can read more about it here and read even more in the blogs for Tuesday and Thursday.

When we returned home, I checked the car and the tire wasn't any worse. I slowly drove it to another station where I filled it to full-pressure and made sure the rest were full. All seemed good, but I wanted to be sure, so it sat outside all night. I checked Sunday morning with a gauge and it was at full-pressure. 

That meant we didn't have a tire problem, the Kwik Trip we visited had a problem with their pump. After church, I drove there to make sure they were aware of the issue. I learned that later Saturday the bad hose was replaced. 

The Mac and Bac ride saw the sun. 8/11/24 dwm
Before all of that Sunday morning, I took my 22nd bike ride. On the bike at 5:55, there was daylight but it was nearly thirty minutes before I saw the sun rise while on the Cannonball Path. It was cool, temperatures were in the low 50s, but I warmed up fast.

While the sun was the only thing I shot, I saw six deer in three different encounters, five sandhill cranes in three sightings, and one turkey waltzed into the grass as I rode past.

I only got off the bike twice since I brought food with me. A protein shake started the ride, then cracker and cheese 'sandwiches,' washed down with a bottle of water completed the nourishment.

It was a quick ride to McFarland and back, just over 32 miles in less than two hours.

Monday I took the day off from the gym. Over the next three days I needed to change my diet for the rest of the week and decided I should lay off the protein-thick shake to start the day. 

At the polls early on Tuesday. 8/13/24 dwm

 Tuesday was election day in Wisconsin, another primary to see who will be on the November ballot. The only contested items on the ballot for every voter was to decide the top two candidates for Dane County executive and vote on two proposed amendments to the State Constitution.

 A high percentage of the time, amendments get voter approval after the legislature approves them twice. I was happy to see these two proposal defeated because I think unintended consequences from the partisanship on the issue would create a negative impact on Wisconsin communities and the people who live there when emergency situations happen.

After work Wednesday I headed home early to begin the prep for a colonoscopy Thursday morning. When making the appointment, I didn't realize the prep was split 75/25 between the night before and the morning of. That meant I needed to wake early enough Thursday to finish the rest of the "prep."

No food, no drink was allowed after 3 am for a 7 am appointment. We were at the clinic when it opened at 6:45 and I was wheeled into the procedure room just after 8. My last memory was asking for something to go between my knees at 8:06. 

I have no recollection of most of that morning. My wife said I was back in the room by 8:40 and we were driving home by 9:30. I can recall a few moments on the drive home and a couple more after we were inside. I slept most of the morning, waking some time after 12. 

This was my third 'scope. You can check out the last time by clicking here.

The remainder of the day I couldn't shake some of the effects of the 'conscious sedation' which made me sick, despite the anti-nausea drug they put in my IV. The cure to that was laying down, so it was a very early bedtime for me. Thankfully, I woke up feeling good and hungry Friday. I had a ham and turkey sandwich, protein shake and did a cool-down walking pace at the gym before a second breakfast!

Blessed with good news from the Doctor, two small polyps were removed, but all looked normal. The prep and the post-procedure isn't fun, but it's an important test. If you're 45 or older (yes, that's the new recommended age for screening) talk to your doctor about scheduling a scope.

I hope your week was just as productive but hopefully a bit less interesting, thanks for reading!

Comments