My Week that Was - December 23

Shaving cream. 12/21/2023 dwm
 Coming into the week there was a lot of hope for the Green Bay Packers to win their home game with Tampa Bay and finish the season with a play-off run.

 The Packer offense had a good game but it wasn't enough and the defense couldn't stop[ the Buccaneers when it was necessary.  Defense has been an issue in several losses.  The lapses in coverage after the offense pulled close in the second half were effectively a self-inflicted dagger.

 There are three games left - Carolina, Minnesota, and Chicago - they better win them all to reach the post-season. 

It's been a strange year.  It started with little or no expectations but when the team beat Kansas City and Detroit they looked like a team on the rise that could be trouble for good teams.  Post-season hopes are on life support, all they can do is beat the Panthers to see if they get another Christmas wish.

Monday I was able to join a few co-workers and a handful of residents singing carols in our skilled care facility.  Frosty the Snowman, Joy to the World, Let if Snow, Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, and O Come All Ye Faithful were heard in the first and third floor dining rooms.  There weren't a lot of people to enjoy it but we saw smiles and enjoyed our time together. 

Just two trips left to our east campus before the new year - I had two visits scheduled that went very well.  One of the great joys of my job is when donors are excited about the work their gift makes happen.  One of the things I try to do is share the stories of what happens when donor gifts get to work.

It was the last work-day of my week on Wednesday.  In December I try to reach as many donors as possible to thank them for their support.  Last week I made 120 calls and by the end of Wednesday I finished another 90.  There are only a couple dozen more to make before the year ends.

Last week I bought a separate keyboard for the laptop hoping it would solve a problem.  Occasionally on the laptop's keyboard it wouldn't put a character on the screen when I hit keys a, c, n, f, or the key to produce a comma.  The only solution was rapidly hitting the key.  Eventually the character would appear on the screen.  It took a long time to write blog posts and send email.  The keyboard solved that problem and is more comfortable than I expected.

You, me, and most of the free world have probably bought something on Amazon by now.  It seems impossible not to purchase something, and that extends to the holidays.  Tuesday I finished shopping with a couple of e-gift cards that will whisk through the internet into inboxes Christmas Eve and a couple of physical packages should arrive Friday afternoon.  I have a few things to actually buy before I'm completely done.  

I've been using Edge shaving gel almost exclusively since I started shaving some 40 years ago.  This week was the first time I had a problem.  Instead of gel in my hand I had dry-spray.  It doesn't spread across my face in that state and doesn't improve the shave.  It happened three straight days when I emailed the manufacturer, Schick.

I got a reply to my email asking for pictures and the can's product number.  When I tried to get gel out for a photo, I got the result at the upper left, it was much closer to what I expected all along.  I sent the photo and information and explained that if this was what I was getting I wouldn't have sent a complaint in the first place.  

The final response was nice, asking how to send me something for my trouble.  I'm looking forward to seeing what arrives in the mail, feeling good about their quick attention and response.

Hot Cocoa cookies. 12/21/23 dwm

I wrote about Holiday treats more than a week ago.  Ten days later I have an addition to the list of special treats.

Introducing the Hot Cocoa cookie, complete with mini marshmallows.

It isn't hot but everything else is evocative of holding a mug of hot chocolate.  There is a deep chocolate flavor to these cookies and they are on the hearty side, you won't need to eat six to be satisfied.  Yum!

Thursday and Friday were days off for me as I tried to get some rest during a busy time of year.  Surprisingly, I was able to stay in bed a bit longer than usual before heading to the gym.  The time off also gave me time to finish my Christmas shopping before the big day.

I hope you're ready for Christmas - Happy Holidays!

Comments