Christmas Treats

Shortbread cookies 12-11-23 dwm
 
More than meals, my favorite Christmas foods are the treats.

Topping my list would be my maternal grandmother's cinnamon rolls.  They were similar to cinnamon rolls you might have for breakfast but the size of a dinner roll.  I recall one Christmas dinner where grandma made a half-dozen or so for my uncle Lyle, my dad, and me.  I ate every one of them.  

They were amazing.  She did a lot of baking, including homemade bread, baking several loaves each weekend.  

My paternal grandma made fudge.  As a pre-teen and then as a teen-age boy, I would plow through a plate or two of her home-made fudge when we saw her for the holiday.  

My aunt Barb had a delicacy she called Texas Sheet cake, which was made in a cookie sheet style of pan.  There was a small bit of cake as a base topped with more than a half-inch of delicious chocolate frosting.  One year for Christmas, they gave me a glass cookie jar packed with individual pieces of Texas Sheet cake separated by wax paper so they wouldn't be stuck together.  I finished that in a few days.

Rhonda has perfected grandma's fudge recipe. Her tradition is to make a pan of fudge on the day we first get measurable snow.  

(internet image)
 My favorite holiday treat she bakes is known by a couple of names - either Hershey Kiss cookies or Peanut Butter Drops.

 This treat continues to be a weakness for me.  Especially when they are just out of the oven, I love to nibble cookie around the Hershey Kiss before popping the kiss and layer of cookie into my mouth.
 
 If I had started writing this blog an hour earlier, I could have taken a picture of one of her latest creations.  Alas, there aren't any left.
 
 Rhonda also does great shortbread cookies that work for any season or any day.  The Christmas version (upper right) is a new creation.
 
Merry tasty Christmas!

Comments