My Week that Was - February 4

Sunday's snow.  1/29/2023 dwm photo
 We expected a lot of snow to arrive Saturday so we  chose to stay close to home.  It was fun - we binge-watched the first season of John McGivern's Main Streets show.
 
 Season 2 debuted on PBS Wisconsin in January but until the host mentioned on the second episode that it was their second season we weren't aware of it.
 
 After an internet search we found John McGivern's Main Streets on YouTube where with 11 episodes of season 1.  Among the featured Main Streets are Indiana Dunes, Grand Haven Michigan, and Sister Bay, WI.

After the big snow Saturday night/Sunday morning, the temperature went down, as low as ten degrees below zero Tuesday morning.  When it is freezing cold, it's likely to be sunny because clear skies which allow the sun's rays to hit the ground allow any daytime heating to escape without clouds blanketing the air.

Good news, you may not have noticed but the sun is now setting after 5pm local time and it will be November before the sun sets before 5, and that has more to do with switching back to standard time than anything.

Wednesday, we had our first team breakfast of the year at Cafe Hollander.  I went with the Danish American pancakes with crisp bacon on the side, while my colleagues went with berry and sweet brie french toast, and cinnamon streusel french toast.  We got our office business done and had a good time catching up personally.

There are a dozen of us who work in the Tower Apartment building at Oakwood participating in the Tower challenge.  It's aimed at getting people out from behind their desk and climb the 16 flights to the door that exits on to the roof.  The recent cold stretch made it cold in the stair well - I couldn't see my breath but my hands were cold.

Sticker from donation #127. 2/3/23 dwm

Fourteen weeks after my last donation I rolled up my sleeve again.  

My first appointment was 8-weeks after the previous donation.  I was called a week ahead of time telling me there weren't enough people working to draw blood, so that appointment was cancelled.  The rescheduled one was also cancelled.

Just two pints short of my next gallon, it seemed like a long time since the last appointment.  The phlebotomist, Kayla, did a great job.  
 
It was after she took the needle out she asked me to hold the gauze over the poke and raise the arm in the air.  After a couple minutes, she lowered my arm, I let up on the pressure... and I was bleeding again.  That's what I got for saying I couldn't recall ever bleeding after putting my arm up.
 
Laying on the table in the canteen was a sheet of stickers (above photo); I hadn't read the statistic before, so if you are eligible to give, I'm encouraging you to make an appointment or walk-in at a blood drive near you.

Your gift could help three other people.

After a colder than normal week, the temperatures are set to climb this next week... make it a good one!

Comments