Bridges of Wisconsin - Waupaca

The Waupaca bridge. 
 In late October I was sharing photos with a group at the Monona Senior Center, when a covered bridge photo appeared, I was asked if I'd seen the bridge in Waupaca. 
 
 After my talk, I asked the person about the bridge.  She is an avid kayaker with fond memories of a trip under the bridge on the Waupaca River.

 This was the third time after a talk someone asked me if I had seen a bridge somewhere in Wisconsin.  We drove to Waushara County and found the Springwater Volunteer bridge in 2019. 
 

The Waupaca River streams under the bridge.
Another person, from Waunakee, I think, wondered if I had seen the one in Price County, We hadn't.  So we took a one-day, socially distanced trip to the Smith Rapids bridge in the summer of 2020.

Waupaca is two-hours from Madison, so it was the right distance for a quick road trip and I was able to see two bridges on one trip!

According to its listing in Bridgehunter.com, the area was a Christmas tree farm turned into a housing subdivision during the 1970s and needed a way to cross the Waupaca River.  A flat bridge was constructed with a canopy added to make it a fitting entrance for the covered bridge estates.

 I can see how this stretch is fun for kayakers with a low clearance to create a challenge and fast-moving water to test your skills.
 
 Covered bridges are located in all kinds of places.  It's depressing to see them in a park crossing over a dry, grass-covered lawn.  

 The Waupaca bridge is tucked away in a corner of town near wetlands and a forest on either side of the river.

I also appreciate that it's not pretending to be old.  Since it isn't a re-creation of a 100-year old bridge, posting "Cross at a Walk" warning would ring hollow when the vehicles crossing have more than 100 horses under their hood.

All photos 11/12/2022 by david mossner
It was worth the trip and a worthy addition to the list of Wisconsin's covered bridges.  The second bridge I mentioned earlier?  I'll show you next Thursday.

Waupaca Covered Bridge  
a/k/a Covered Bridge Estates, Waupaca River Covered Bridge, or Paske
Built: 1976 
Style: Timber Stringer with wood canopy
Length: 30-feet over the Waupaca River
 
 
The covered bridge over the Waupaca River. 11/12/2022 dwm photos

Comments