Bridges of Wisconsin - Springwater Volunteer

The Pine River rushes under the Springwater Volunteer
bridge.  11/29/2019 dwm photo
I wasn't aware of this bridge until a person at the DeForest Public Library told me about it.

We were scheduling a presentation of "Travel in Time - covered bridges in the Upper Midwest," when she asked if I had seen the one in Waushara County.

No, I replied, the only real covered bridge to me is the one in Cedarburg, Wisconsin.

Since I've made exceptions to my rule in the past, I looked into the story behind this one and was convinced it was worth a visit.

The open sidewalls expose the pretty lattice truss.
11/29/2019 dwm photo
According to a historical account inside the bridge, the Springwater Township Board was told by the State to replace their old steel and concrete bridge because it was in bad shape.

After starting down the road to do that, a Township Board member talked about seeing covered bridges in Pennsylvania and suggested they go that route.

The board member later discovered he was a distant relative to the man who developed the Town Lattice Truss - Ithiel Town.

It took time to convince the State Department of Transportation to approve the idea.  When the DOT did, they withdrew the State and Federal funds usually available to build bridges.

The one lane bridge is open for business.  11/29/19 (dwm)
They discovered a modern Town Lattice Truss bridge in the state (yes, now I have to get that one too) and moved ahead with the plans.

The Town had the old bridge demolished and ordered timber from the state of Oregon.

Volunteers took it from there, and it was dedicated June 1, 1997, which is why it is called the Springwater Volunteer bridge.

Well done, volunteers.  Well done.

Comments