Bridges of Wisconsin - Red Mill

Red Mill Covered Bridge, Waupaca. 11/12/22
 Years before I began collecting covered bridges with my camera, my wife and I stopped at the Red Mill near Waupaca.
 
 There is a restaurant and gift shop along the Crystal River in an old mill.  In 1970 new owners built a bridge and a Chapel on the grounds.
 
 When we returned to Wisconsin and looked at lists of covered bridges in the state, I didn't notice this one or recall it.  I certainly didn't remember it as a full-size bridge.
 
After the suggestion in October (2022) to check out the Waupaca bridge, it jogged my memory that maybe there was a second bridge worth shooting.  It was my first stop on a quick one-hour visit to capture both.

The bridge uses a Towne Lattice thru truss/ dwm
The breakfast rush was over so there was plenty of room to park along the country road.  I stopped in the shop to qualify as a customer, then headed down the stairs and path to the bridge.
 
Since the owners control property on both sides of the river, it's a perfect spot to visit and photo-friendly.
 
There is a short walking path around the Chapel and a lot of space to enjoy the peace, quiet, and beauty of the country setting.
 
A bridge near a grist mill built in 1855 makes sense historically, so despite this being a decorative bridge and a show-piece, it belongs in this tranquil location. 

Red Mill Covered Bridge
Built: 1970
Style: Town Lattice through truss
Length: 40-feet over Crystal River

The Red Mill Cafe and Gift Shop
The water wheel for the mill sat inside the stone walls.
A good look at a Towne Lattice truss
Looking upstream at the Red Mill Covered Bridge. All photos 11/12/2022 by d mossner

Comments