One More Crossing - Merrimac

The Colsac III crossing 11/12/2022        dwm photo

 As I waited for the ferry to cross the Wisconsin River at Merrimac, I realized the last time I waited, I was on day two of the Ride Across Wisconsin.
 
 There were only nine vehicles waiting to cross, nearly all of them idling with windows up to fight the cold.

 Since the ferry was loading on the far shore when I stopped my car at the front of the middle lane, I put my coat, hat, and gloves on to get this year's final ferry photos.

 Only one car got off on our side, the operator dropped the center and far left ramps for us to load and soon we were moving.

The ferry runs April thru November. dwm
Snow swirled around the car making it look even colder.  I thought about getting out for a few more shots then decided warmth and listening to the radio was a better way to go.
 
The Colsac III pulls itself across three cables which stretch from shore to shore (photo below), carrying up to fifteen cars.  The name combines the two counties it links, Columbia and Sauk.
 
Seven minutes later the left ramp dropped, the center followed as the last car in the left lane exited.  I drove off the ramp onto the asphalt then made a left on state highway 113.
 
The free Merrimac Ferry is a wonderful attraction and feature close to home.  I'm glad the state has resisted the urge to install a bridge instead.  I'll see you next year, Colsac!
 
Photos by David Mossner, November 12, 2022

Comments