Day Two - Ride Across Wisconsin

A flat after reaching top of Devil's Lake hill.
 There were at least twenty bikers and bikes in the lobby of the Lake Delton Hampton Inn when my wife walked my bike and me off the elevator for day two of the Ride Across Wisconsin.

 It was a bit foggy but nothing that affected our ability to see what was ahead of us.

 We left Wisconsin Dells on quiet country roads heading to Baraboo.  It was uneventful.  Thankfully, uneventful.

 Climbing a small hill in the dark, I hard a deep bark that could only come from a big dog.  I slowed to allow two following riders to catch up; the three of us moved toward the center line while we looked for the source.

Our lights showed two yellow circles, then an adult black lab (who wasn't moving toward us), then finally we saw the leash.  With an exhale we continued to Circus City (Baraboo was home to several circus' including the Ringling Brothers).  I wondered how many times the dog barked at bikes before the owner took him inside.

Crossing the Wisc. River on the Merrimac Ferry

Baraboo was quiet, stoplights flashing, we passed Circus World Museum heading south on state highway 113 toward Devil's Lake State Park.  The area marks the long line known as the Baraboo Bluff where the Ice Age glacier melted leaving tall piles of rock.

That was the hill we had to climb.  I shifted into the lowest gear on the front Crankset (the Granny gear) so I could climb this monster.

Early in the climb, lots of bikes moved past, some faster than others, although no one was faster than a couple that zipped by on their electric bikes.  I felt sorry they were missing out on the character building hills offer.

Wheel & Sprocket wizards
 I was slow and steady, doing 3 mph as I neared the top.  That's when I heard a soft thwap, thwap; I slowed to see what happened (although I had an idea) and came to a stop and dropped my head when I realized I had a second flat in two days.
 
 I called for help.  While waiting for the Wheel & Sprocket Service And Gear (SAG) truck, lots of bikers asked if I need help.  I felt some obligation to the truck, so I let the bikes go downhill.
 
Second stop - Sassy Cow Dairy.
 The guys in the van checked the flat tube, tire, and rim then quickly popped the new tube into place and set me flying downhill toward Merrimac and what I expected to be a ferry taking a break.  
 
Instead, it was loading as I arrived, with the two guys who fixed the tire in their truck.  I took their picture as we crossed - the rest stop was handing out ice cream at 7AM - yep, it's a ride across Wisconsin.

That reminds me of an incident hours later as I passed a young couple.   We were in farm country and the air was distinctly agricultural.  When I used the "dad joke" of calling it Dairy Air, the guy on the bike laughed like he had never heard that line or wasn't from Wisconsin.  His reaction made me smile.

Coming off the Merrimac Ferry there were just four riders.  One quickly passed me while the other two were falling behind.  I was miles from where I expected to be and didn't feel like I was making up ground.
I think I was 20 miles down the road before a pair of bikes appeared on the horizon.  The flashing red lights in the distance gave me hope and energy, I passed a half-dozen groups of riders before reaching the Sassy Cow Dairy.
 
Photo Op at Trek Headquarters.
At this point, it was 10 in the morning, 45 miles behind me and the finish line in Milwaukee 90 miles away.  Giddy-up. 

 It was just 18 miles to the next stop at the headquarters of Trek Bicycles in Waterloo, Wisconsin.  They had tents up and employees directing traffic to get bikes safely into their parking lot where we could relax, eat lunch, and enjoy Culver's Frozen Custard.

 Some riders who opted to end their ride in Waterloo were done after 165 miles.  As I contemplated the next 70 miles that sounded smart.

 I was still feeling good, although I was noticing soreness around both knees.  It's my first experience with knee pain.  Bio-Freeze helped, and once I was up to speed it wasn't bad; beside I had a ride to finish.  At this point, my bride was waiting in Milwaukee.

The community of Lake Mills was 17 miles away and where the route moved back to state bike trails, starting with the Glacial Drumlin which connects Waukesha to Cottage Grove (just east of Madison and soon to be linked with a trail).

Glacial Drumlin.
It rained hard Saturday afternoon after I finished my day on the bike.  It didn't rain on us Sunday but every rider was concerned with what we might find on the unpaved Glacial Drumlin Trail when we got there.  
 
Other than a few spots it was pretty clear by the time I was on the path.  Trees lined the path created by the abandonment of a rail line.  The trees didn't provide much of a wind break but there was welcoming shade for most of the 20 miles between Lake Mills and Dousman.
 
Dousman is where the trail became paved for the remainder of the trip.  Several local volunteers had a spread of food and drink.  I sat under a tree, trying to stretch, and gather myself.  I was tired and wrung out.  There were 30 miles left, I thought it might take me 3 hours to finish at my recent pace.
 
The next 14 miles were a struggle.  I didn't catch many riders.  I wasn't passed by anyone either but I felt slow as I kept my eyes pealed for the end of the Glacial Drumlin.  At the final rest stop, I got off the bike to walk and stretch.  I drank a cold 8 ounce can of Mountain Dew, ate a couple Oreos and a Rice Crispie treat; got a cow bell's worth of encouragement and pushed on to the last two stretches.
 
The New Berlin Trail. 
 This was new territory.  While I had prior experience on the Glacial Drumlin, I ended all previous rides where it ended.  I expected a bike path interrupted every city block with a street where I would need to yield or stop.

 It was a pleasant surprise to find the paved path next to a corridor for power lines that stretched long distances between street crossings.  That meant I could get up to speed and maintain it for long stretches. 

 All this time I had been trying to increase my average speed but it appeared the big hill and smaller climbs plus fatigue was adding weight to the bike.

There was two miles of riding on the streets of New Berlin and West Allis before we joined the final stretch on the Henry Aaron State Trail (named for Baseball's Home Run King and Hall of Famer who started with the Milwaukee Braves).

The stadium from a bridge on the Aaron trail.
The trail passes through Wisconsin State Fair Park between the area for the Midway and an animal exhibition hall; then winds past the historic Veterans Hospital and American Family Field.

My final stop was to take a picture of the Brewer's field then get back on the bike.  

Maybe it was the Mountain Dew or sugar-high from the cookies and treat, whatever the reason, I was moving close to 20 mph until the last two miles.

There were too many street crossings to go fast here but with the end in sight, I pulled into the Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Museum parking lot then wound onto a path to the finish line where the crowd of family, friends, and bikers applauded each finisher.

The banner at the finish line of the 2022 RAW.
 I raised my right arm as I crossed the line then came to a stop and looked for my wife, a hug, and a place to sit.

 I changed clothes, received my 'finishers mug,' and took some photos before we headed to the car where we loaded up the bike and headed home.
 
 Day Two 9 hours, 8 minutes in the saddle.  133 miles.
Elapsed time: 11:35

 Too long days on the bike after short nights of sleep, I was ready to rest, grateful to have taken Monday off.
 
 
All photos by David Mossner August 21, 2022.

Comments