My Week that Was - August 27

LED Luminaries line Tunnel #1. 6/20/22 dwm

My week started in La Crosse under a building overhang waiting to start the Ride Across Wisconsin (RAW).
 
I was one of 700 bicyclists planning to pedal from the banks of the Mississippi River to the shore of Lake Michigan.
 
Because it was my third RAW and second leaving downtown La Crosse I had a feel for how it started with no idea how it would go once we left the city.

My blogs on Day 1 and Day 2 of RAW were posted this past Tuesday and Thursday, you can find more details there.

Three train tunnels are the crown jewels of Wisconsin State Trails and the features I was most excited to see.
 
The tunnels are lined with bricks and mortar but water gets through the cracks.  Tunnel #3, the longest and first one we encountered heading east on the Elroy - Sparta trail, is the wettest and loudest.  The faint glow of luminaries acted as runway lights and bike letting you see a few feet in front of your position but the trip was primarily trusting the guide-lights by staying centered.

Those tunnels are what I'll remember the longest.
 
I enjoyed a Root Beer flavored Shaved Ice.
 These past few years I've learned it is a good idea to take a day off between the end of a trip or vacation and heading back to work.  That was definitely the case after two long days of riding.  It was nice to stay in bed an hour longer; walk some of the kinks out on the gym's treadmill; rest; and relax.

 Tuesday I went back to work and found a summer celebration.  Residents and staff enjoyed shaved ice treats, a dunk tank with select employees in the hot seat, games, plus water balloons and water guns.

 I wasn't aware of the last two until a stream of water nailed me in the left side up to my ear.  Thankfully I wore a Dry-Tech shirt.

The fun and games were just that with many content to take in the sights and sounds from the shade while other residents eagerly fired at the unwary.

Lucille's on King St, Madison
Thursday we had a team gathering at a place called Lucille's.  It's an upscale bar and pizza place.  
 
Most of our group has been together for three years so we know each other beyond acquaintances.  As the group gathers we fell into easy conversation, happy to enjoying time out of work.

We ordered three large pizza pies for the crew, baked in a wood-fire oven, the Weekender, Aphrodite, and Wild Corn Summer.  They all had more toppings than I would usually order but was able to work my way around them to enjoy a high quality pizza.

A new twist to our time together was a game of "Family Feud" put together by our boss who doubled as the emcee of the game.  It was fun and different, plus the team I was on, won!  

It was a nice way to build camaraderie and have a wonderful afternoon.

Friday I woke up later than usual, late enough to cut my usual one-hour workout to 20 minutes.  That meant arriving at work with a serious deficit in steps.  Most of the time I'm close to 8,000 steps by the time I get out of my car, Friday it was closer to 5,000.  It took until 4 pm until I reached my daily goal.

Some steps I got right away with an 8:30 appointment to give blood to the Red Cross.  

The young man that greeted me was very methodical in working through the initial screening, then walked me out to the cot and prepared to stick me with the needle.  I used my right arm to give the left arm a break.  His style led me to believe he was relatively new to the job, so I decided it to keep my mouth shut and not say too much about my prior experiences.  

I was glad I stayed quiet.  He did an excellent job and I finished giving my pint in less than five minutes.  Three more appointments until I hit 16 gallons.  

If you are eligible to give, please do.  The good feeling lasts longer than the needle stick.

Have a great week!

Comments