Longest Ride... Yet

Path along the Yahara River.
 Yesterday was the nicest day to ride this year that coincided with a day I could get on my bike and go.

 It's one of my favorite routes, from the homestead up and around Lake Mendota.  This time I rode counter-clockwise.  Usually I go the other way which changed some of the landmarks I use to know where to turn.

 There is no path or marked 'loop' like the one around Lake Monona.  

 County Highway M is the primary route west and north of Lake Mendota.  Then it's Westport Road, Green Avenue, Troy Drive, and Marcy Road which connects Woodward Drive which leads into the village of Maple Bluff.  From there surface streets and city trails take you along the isthmus between Lakes Mendota and Monona.

 All that plus the connections to and from home adds up to a 40-mile trip.

 Mid-week it was hot and humid but the weather broke Friday evening making Saturday crisp and cool.  Temperatures were in the upper 50s at the start of the ride, warming to the upper 60s at the finish.

A farm on the west side of Madison. 6/18/22 dwm

Judging my position as I rounded the lake and the time, I decided to stop at the Camera Company to see if they could tell me what was wrong with my Nikon.

It turned out to be the aperture control wasn't functional which left the camera's eye wide open which allowed in too much light.  That's a lens issue.  

Lenses have a lifespan and this was it for my basic 18-millimeter lens.  The employees at the shop explained repairs would cost more than a replacement.  I selected a 50-millimeter lens which should work out just fine.

This time camels were out w/the zebras. 6/18/22

 You may recall a post from a few weeks ago about a strange animal I saw during a ride... this time as I rode past the childcare center I saw a pair of Bactrian camels across a fence from the zebra.

 The title of today's post "Longest Ride... Yet" speaks to building up miles.  

 I'm registered for a long two-day ride in August, it will go better if I am used to time in the saddle.

 Which is as a good reason and excuse to get out and ride! 

Comments