What's That?

Something you don't see often. 5/28/22
The most interesting part of yesterday's ride was the Zebra.

Yep.  A zebra was grazing in knee-high grass behind a tall fence off County Highway M.  Later, after I put my camera away, another black and white striped animal made an appearance.

The land is part of, or at least next, to an early childhood center.  However the zebras arrived in Madison, I hope they had time to acclimate.

My ride was mostly north as I made my to the only Waunakee in the world.  Quite a bit of the ride was over bike/pedestrian paths through Madison and Middleton.  The trail is part of the Pheasant Branch Nature Conservancy and a popular place for walkers, joggers, bikers, and bird-watchers.

Pheasant Branch Creek 5/28/22
  Just four years ago heavy rains changed the conservancy landscape as part of trails washed out.  The paths are open but not all of them are yet fully-paved.  

 It's a fun ride but unlike a number of bike trails this one is primarily for walkers and runners.  It follows the winding stream with sharp and sometimes blind turns so caution dictates slowing down and enjoying the scenery.

 Looking around and stopping once in a while is a good idea to get better acquainted with the area.  

 Yesterday I took pictures of corn in a field that wasn't four inches tall, I'll likely use it later this week in a blog post.

 One reason I rode to Waunakee was to check out a new stretch of bike path that will eventually take bikers safely around the north-side of Lake Mendota.  

There is a two mile stretch near Governor Nelson State Park that offers a nice trail through a section of the park that opens on to a dead-end road that delivers you to a boardwalk over wetlands instead of braving the highway pavement to the right of the white line.

Upon reaching Waunakee, I stopped at a Kwik Trip for a Milky Way candy bar then headed south wrapping up a 35 mile ride in 2 and a half hours.

Comments