Wisconsin Bridges - Stonefield Village

The bridge at Stonefield Village in Cassville, WI.
7/8/2017 dwm photo
As I talk about covered bridges around Dane County, there are frequent questions - where are the bridges and have you seen 'this' bridge?

While I consider the Cedarburg Bridge as the only historic covered bridge in Wisconsin, as you can see on this list by Dale J Travis, there are others.

For me, the downside of his list is it includes pedestrian bridges and bridges built across ditches to reach a mailbox.

The bridge at the end
of Main Street at Stonefield Village.
7/8/2017 dwm photo
When the McFarland Library invited me to speak, they asked if I had seen the Waushara Bridge.  I hadn't, but visited it last November.

The Springwater Volunteer bridge is one of three based on a historic bridge and handle vehicles.

The bridge in Stonefield Village in Cassville is another; built in 1962 for the living history town that is now a state historic site.

This is a Howe Truss bridge.
7/8/2017 (dwm)
Mr. Travis identifies the bridge as built in 1962 crossing Dewey Creek; that's the end of its story.

Just to be fair and so that it appears on the Covered Bridge collection for the state in the upper Midwest, I'm including it here.

I have one more in Wisconsin, the Smith Rapids bridge near Fifield in Price County.  That's up north, so it may be a while before it is added to my collection.  You can see more here.

Comments