Bridges of Madison County - Holliwell

Holliwell Covered Bridge.
11/2/19   dwm photo
The Holliwell bridge is the longest of the six in Madison County, checking in at 122 feet.

While it was bypassed in 1986 - the newer bridge serves as a great perch to photograph the old one.  The current bridge was built in 1880, replacing the first built in 1855, then destroyed by a flood in 1876, according to John A. Week's history.

Holliwell was my second Madison County bridge.  After taking pictures of this one, I headed east to Marion County to shoot the three over there, then returned to Winterset for the final four.

This bridge can also be seen in the movie, Bridges of Madison County, but I'm sure the bridge looked different on film, with real roads and everything.

The county put a fair amount of money into rehabbing many of their bridges within a few years of the movie's release so the additional bridge tourists could see the best of the bridges.

The rising sun lights up the east side of Holliwell.
11/2/2019 dwm photo
We lived nearby in Clarke County in 1985 and 86.  Madison County was part of our coverage area for KJJC-FM, the station I worked at in Osceola.

I made several trips to Winterset, but the bridges were not in the news.  As I recall, the fact Winterset was home to John Wayne was a bigger deal.

My best moment in Madison County was getting to interview Hugh Sidey.  He was a native of Greenfield, Iowa and was a columnist in TIME magazine at the time.

I did a 30 minute interview with him that aired on the Sunday morning public affairs program I did each week.  He was gracious and interesting.

The Middle River crosses much of Madison County.
11/2/2019 dwm photo
All these years later - after taking pictures of more than 100 covered bridges - it is funny to me that to complete the collection for the upper Midwest, I returned to within 20 miles of where we once lived.

Holliwell Covered Bridge
Built: 1880, rehabbed 1995
Style:  Covered Lattice through truss
Length: 159 feet over Middle River

Catch up with other bridges in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, and Wisconsin by following the link.

Comments