Bridges of Iowa's Counties - Marion Co.

Marysville Bridge, Part II  11/2/2019 dwm photo
The other half of the Marysville Bridge was supposed to be somewhere along County Highway T-17 southwest of Knoxville.

Based on my research I wasn't expecting any signs, but thought I could find it.

One reference indicated it was on the Wilcox Game Preserve on the east side of the road.  The only sign that said Wilcox was on the west.

I pulled over to ask the driver of a pick-up if he knew where I might find the bridge or park.

He wasn't sure, but suggested it was somewhere in a four mile stretch of where we were talking.  I drove north a couple miles, but didn't see any place near the road that looked like it could hold a bridge.
The bridge from the other side. There is no trail, just forest.
Part II bridges the gap over a steep ravine. 11/2/19 (dwm)

I turned and headed back south, getting a different view of the east side of the highway.

On the way north, I noticed a gate and some structures behind trees.  This time, I saw a gate and another pick-up.

I pulled on the gravel road, stopped the car, and got out as the man returned to his truck from unlocking the gate.  I introduced myself and explained I was looking for the Wilcox Game Preserve and the remnants of a bridge.

He was going to point me down the road to the preserve when he stopped and told me the old bridge was here.  However, he said there was going to be a shooting contest soon at the county's shooting range, but I could follow him to where I could see the bridge.

I said thanks and hopped in my car and followed him a short distance.

The old bridge crosses a ravine and
serves as a storage unit. 11/2/19 (dwm)
Just off the parking lot I saw it, the distinctive red frame of a covered bridge.

One wall had siding, the other side only the skeletal frame of old timber.

There are old construction barricades, a tank, and an ancient cart under the roof.  I took several pictures from the parking lot, walked across the bridge to get shots from the other side (above right), then clicked a few more before getting back in the car.

The kind gentleman who let me in was busy preparing for the contest, so I wasn't able to wave or say good-bye.  There isn't a lot left of the old bridge, it still serves, although in a limited capacity.

Marysville Covered Bridge, Part II
Built: 1891
Style: Town lattice through truss
Length: 40 feet - on county government land east of Knoxville.

Next Thursday, we see the first of the six Bridges of Madison County.  If you want to read up on other bridges, click here.

Comments