Bridges of Iowa's Counties - Marion Co.

Part I of the Marysville Bridge.  11/2/2019 dwm photo
The old Marysville bridge is one of the most unusual bridges I've visited, to see it all, you need to go two places.

Half of it stands in the Marion County Park on the west edge of Knoxville.  It crosses a small ravine that directs rain water to a nearby lake.

The 80 foot bridge was built in 1891 north of the community of Dallas in Marion County over White Breast Creek.

In 1926, it was taken down and moved to Marysville, a very small town southeast of Knoxville.

The ramp in the shade was quite slippery.  11/2/2019 (dwm)
Forty-two years later, the desire to save it meant dividing it.  One section, let's call it Part I, is in the Marion County Park.

The sun was shining bright on a cold morning when I saw it.  I parked east of the bridge, took a few shots, then walked through the bridge.

As I came out the other side (photo left), the camera was in my left hand when WHOMP.  My feet slipped and I was temporarily above the ramp before landing on my right side.

The camera slid down the ramp, the contact severed the lens cap strap.  That was a relief and an inexpensive replacement.

The bridge design is called a Town Lattice through truss with
the crossed boards providing the strength. 11/2/19 (dwm)
I rubbed my right wrist for a short time, figured I was OK and slowly stood up and walked off the bridge.  Other than the lens cap, only my pride was bruised, and a lesson learned - bridge ramps are slippery on cold mornings.

I took a few more shots, then got back in the car looking for Marysville Part II.

Marysville Covered Bridge, Part I
Built: 1891
Style:  Town lattice through truss
Length: Originally 80, now 40 feet in Marion County Park, Knoxville, Iowa

Comments