Michigan Covered Bridges - Morris

The Morris Bridge over a branch of the St. Joseph River.
9/27/2019 dwm photo
The Morris bridge was almost as difficult to see as the Saginaw River Rear Range Light.

In 2018, I contacted the bridge owners, but was unable to work out a time to visit.

This year, I was told if I could be there before Friday afternoon, I could get my pictures.

After driving around Niles, I found the cross street I was looking for and eventually the turn into an unmarked drive.

The 37' bridge likely had some of its siding removed to
make it interesting.  9/27/19 (dwm)
I checked in at the house and was relieved to find I was expected.  They took me around back and showed the right path.

As I walked down the hill, the bridge was at the end of a pond created by a small dam.

The trail split, so I followed it from the bridge to a man-made waterfall where the pond spilled over on its way to nearby St. Joseph river.

I adjusted my shutter and tried several different set-ups to include the falling water and bridge in the same shot (below left).

One online directory lists the Morris as the Bob-O-Lew bridge, although I can't find a story which explains who Bob or Lew are and why their names are on a bridge.

Shot laying on a bridge deck a few feet from the water.
9/27/2019 dwm photo
The bridge sits on The Morris Estate, a full-service location for a get-away or dream wedding; my guess is the original land owners were named Morris.

The bridge was built in 1932.  I don't know if it was in this location, but I'm guessing it was purchased and moved here.

I am glad I got to add it to my collection - it was worth the wait -
thanks to the folks at the Morris Estate.

See more bridges by clicking here.

Comments