Michigan Covered Bridges - Ackley

Built in Pennsylvania, moved to Michigan. 9/26/2019 (dwm)
This bridge spent 105 years in Pennsylvania before moving to Michigan.

According to its history, the 75 foot bridge was built in 1832 over Wheeling Creek in southwest PA by Daniel Clouse and Joshua Ackley.

When it was going to be torn down (I'm guessing for a road better equipped to handle motor cars pioneered by... Henry Ford!), Mr. Ford saved it from demolition when he bought it in 1937 and moved it to his new museum in Dearborn, Michigan.

The Ackley is over water, but it isn't
a river anymore.  9/26/2019 (dwm)
The museum is actually two places - The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village.

I remember visiting as a child, but don't remember the covered bridge.  I recall Thomas Edison's Menlo Park workshops moved from New Jersey; the first auto plant of Henry Ford; and a medicine wagon which belonged to Doctor Bryson.  Bryson was my great aunt and uncle's name.

It's a magnificent place.  You should plan a two-day trip to take it all in, and wear comfortable shoes.

On this trip for me, it was all about the covered bridge.  I asked if there was a special rate for the short time it would take to get my pictures, but was turned down.  So I paid full fare - walked through the gate, past Henry Ford's home, his factory, Orville and Wilbur Wright's bicycle shop (moved from Dayton, Ohio), and Edison's factory before I reaching the bridge.

Model T rides are available at
Greenfield Village. 9/26/19 (dwm)
I'm not sure if I'll make it to Pennsylvania to shoot their covered bridges, and since it's resides in Michigan, I'm counting it as a Michigan bridge.

It is in a beautiful setting in the Porches and Parlors section of Greenfield Village.  The neighborhood depicts typical homes from the 1760s through the 1930s.

As part of museum, the bridge will get care and attention to thrive a long time.

The horse-drawn omnibus shuttle
heads toward the Ackley bridge.
9/26/2019 dwm photo
My quick trip to Greenfield Village was my third stop that morning.  Earlier I drove through downtown Detroit to a park on the north side to shoot the first of two lighthouses.  After that, we headed west so I could see the last covered bridge in Michigan.

You will see the Morris bridge next Thursday.

Interested in seeing more covered bridges?  Click the link to reach My Covered Bridge Collection.

Comments