Illinois Covered Bridges - Wolf

The rebuilt Wolf Covered Bridge.
4/20/2019      dwm photo
The Wolf Covered Bridge is in the middle of farm country in Knox County, Illinois.

That's when I experienced something that's never happened before.

As I was wrapping up taking pictures and walking back to the car, a black pickup truck pulled to a stop next to ours.

The driver told that the land across the river belonged to his family and I could get some unobstructed views of the bridge from there if I was interested.

Of course, I was.  I headed across the field to the trees where it sloped toward the water.  I found an area where rains washed away dirt so it was easier to get down to the bank.

The Spoon River curves under the Wolf Bridge.
4/20/2019    dwm photo
Once I got to it, there were a number of great vantage points (like photo at right) which allowed me to frame the bridge.

The State of Illinois awarded money for the bridge in 1831, but it was 1848 before Jacob Wolf put it up.  It was 1874 before walls and a roof were added.

According to a local history, the walls made it easier to drive cattle across and added years to the bridge's lifespan.  Other sources I've read said animals weren't that bothered by crossing a bridge.

The original spanned the river bottom, more than 230 feet.  In 1994 it was destroyed by fire.

On the bank, looking upstream
at the Wolf Bridge. 3/20/19 (dwm)
It was five years before the bridge returned - using traditional tools with new materials.  It has a higher clearance than most covered bridges - so it can handle modern vehicles.

The bridge crosses the river, with arched approaches on either end.

It's beautiful.

So was the farm next to it.  Cattle were grazing in the field.  I heard, then saw, a small Garter Snake scrambling through the leaves.

A memorable visit to a new old covered bridge.

Wolf Covered Bridge


The farm field I was permitted to cross
4/20/2019  dwm photo
Built: 1848, 1874 restored 1999

Style: Original was Bedstead Truss, rebuilt as Howe Through Truss

Length: 104 feet over Spoon River

You can see more of my covered bridges by clicking the link.

Comments