Illinois Covered Bridges - Red

Open to traffic, Red Covered Bridge a few miles north of
Princeton, Illinois.  5/11/2018  dwm photo
After traveling Indiana for several years to visit and record covered bridges, they continue to pique my interest when driving in nearby states.

There is one real covered bridge in Wisconsin.  I found another in Minnesota.

However, I was surprised to learn the Land of Lincoln is home to ten bridges.

My first one, the Red Covered Bridge near Princeton, Illinois.

Red Bridge crosses Big Bureau Creek
5/11/2018  (dwm)
"Just a little out of my way," is what I thought about the side-trip while driving from Wisconsin to Indianapolis for our son's wedding.  Well, little wasn't exactly right.

Princeton is 20 miles west of Interstate 39 in Central Illinois, 50 miles north of Peoria.

So, it added more than 40 miles to our trip.  Counting time for photos and grabbing lunch, it was a 90 minute detour.


Spring arrives in the quiet valley home to Red Bridge.
5/11/18   dwm photo
After I turned left onto Old Dad Trail, I saw the 'Road Closed' sign, but drove on.  Then I saw a large tree cutter blocking traffic and a supervisor getting in a pick-up to tell me the road was closed.

When I explained my mission and asked if there was another way to the bridge, he helpfully shared directions.  I crossed the creek on another bridge, then approached from the north where we found a delightful quiet park near the bridge and stream.

I was able to scurry along the bank to get shots of water flowing under the Red Bridge, then walk around and explore.

The Red Bridge crossed Bureau Creek in 1863. (dwm)
A plaque inside the bridge's portal traces the bridge origin to a meeting in March, 1863.  The county, township, and individuals covered the $3,149 cost.

It was dedicated in 1936, recognized for its ability to withstand storms and floods to move travelers from shore to shore as a testimony to the folks who built it 73 years earlier.

155 years later - it stands strong and reinforced, and well worth our side trip!

Red Covered Bridge Facts

Built: 1863

Style: Covered Howe Through Truss

Length: 148 feet over Bureau Creek, north of Princeton

Check here to see more covered bridges from Illinois and other states!

Comments