My Week That Was - Feb 16

Winter frozen Crab Apples.  2/9/2019 (dwm)
Last Saturday on a trip to the store we parked near a Crabapple tree.  Last season's fruit clung to the branches, frozen in place.

It was an unexpected photo opportunity.  The opportunity didn't last long - 24 hours later the tree ice melted.

Monday at work I got a couple strange voice messages on my office line.  The male voice on the line said my son (getting the name right) had an overdrawn check and a court date on Friday.

Just a few second after hearing that message was the next - this one from a man claiming to be with a law firm offering help.

I called my son.  There was no overdrawn check.  Court cases are not announced by telephone.  The son in question is an adult and we don't co-own a checking account, so there is no connection to me.  After putting the phone number into Google, up popped a list of scam and fraud attempts linked to it.

Later I learned other members of the family got the same call; the phone number is blocked.

University Woods campus
Oakwood Village.
2/13/2019 dwm photo
You might, just might remember a long ago blog about storm Draco, which hit Madison with 20 inches of snow December 20, 2012.  (If you follow the link and then scroll left through the next seven blog posts - you can re-live or experience Draco for the first time.)

The snow storm which hit Verona and Madison this past Tuesday is the biggest snowfall since then.  We had close to ten inches at our home.

Schools across south and central Wisconsin closed Tuesday and many rural schools started late Wednesday because of the storm and the drifting which kept roads in tough shape.  The sun returned Wednesday and it quickly melted the pavement and sidewalks that were shoveled or plowed.

It was pretty and put our season of snow just past what is normal for February 16.   That is Wisconsin speak for, "there is more snow coming!"

Valentine's Day surprised some folks on Thursday (despite my warning blog).  I'm glad to say I was ready with a bag carrying a heart-shaped box of chocolates after my morning trip to the gym.  As I was getting ready for work, I remembered to grab my 'Conversation Valentine Candy Hearts" tie.

It's a tie I wear only once a year.  If I miss V-day, it goes back into the closet for another 364 days.

Friday showed up on schedule.  It was a good day.  We delivered 2018 Oak Tree Circle pins to donors; I spent the rest of the day finishing phone calls and writing March birthday cards.

That was my week - I hope your next one is keeper!

Comments