Bridges of Indiana's Counties - Rush Co. - #81 Norris Ford

Most covered bridges were originally built to help farmers.
7/3/2010  dwm photo
My favorite part of seeing the Norris Ford bridge was when I heard the tractor coming.

Just like the old days, I thought, when horse-drawn farm equipment took the bridge on the way to town or a nearby field.

It hauled a cultivator behind the Allis Chalmers, wings folded up to fit inside the portal of the E.M. Kennedy bridge.

The Norris Ford is one of the more recent original bridges, built across the Big Flat Rock River in 1916.

Unlike the Homer and Moscow bridges, I couldn't learn much else about this bridge.

Looking through the bridge window
at the Big Flat Rock River. (dwm)
The Norris Ford is north-east of Rushville, the county seat, on County Road 300 North just east of County Road 125 East.

As a Kennedy bridge, it shares the distinctive look of their other bridges with scroll work accents and a rounded portal on either end.  The Norris Ford is the youngest of their 11 remaining bridges.  The company built at least 58.

After the tractor crossed, I followed on the bridge deck to a window where I could watch the murky water flow beneath me.

It was a peaceful place to stand with nature sounds mingling with familiar sounds and smells of agriculture.

Amidst all the farm fields, the bridge sits in the wooded
Big Flat Rock River valley NE of Rushville. 7/3/10 (dwm)
When I tried to walk downstream I didn't have much success finding a bend in the river where I could get a picture looking back at the bridge.

While I don't know who Norris Ford is - my guess is he either owned or farmed the land where the bridge crosses.

Actually, the name may be Norris and the "Ford" refers to a shallow crossing near the bridge location.  Whether it is Norris or Mr. Norris Ford, he has a nice bridge.

Rush Co, In (internet image)
Norris Ford Covered Bridge facts

Built:  1916 by E.M. Kennedy & Sons - their final bridge still standing

Style:  Burr Arch truss

Length:  169 feet over Big Flat Rock River

You can see more covered bridges in my covered bridge collection by following this link.

Comments