Bridges of Indiana's Counties - # 46 Parke Co. - Big Rocky Fork (12/31)

Big Rocky Falls was one of the first in front of my camera.
 7/3/2009  dwm photo
My first covered bridges are obvious when I look at the photo folder on my computer.  The earliest bridges have the fewest pictures.

Just four of Big Rocky Fork.  The old bridge sets next to its replacement, allowing today's cars to drive by the past.  The grass wasn't cut, and I didn't want to mow my way through.

I hope when you check it off your list the grass is trimmed and you literally cross the bridge.

Little to nothing is known about an infamous criminal using the bridge, but the bridge's Wikipedia page says he lived around here.

118 years - still standing.  Old Rocky Fork Bridge.
7/9/2018  dwm
You might think local promoters would include a John Dillinger reference to the covered bridges is there was a close connection.  In its absence, I think he and his gang drove over it like everybody else.

Rocky Fork is the name of the creek the bridge crosses.  The "big" part of the name is linked to a shed-sized limestone boulder which fell into the creek.  It's also why a nearby park is called Fallen Rock.

There was no fanfare.  No special signs.  But the old bridge is marking time without calling attention to itself.  It would like you to stop by.

Parke County, IN
internet image
Big Rocky Fork Covered Bridge

Built: 1900

Builder:  J.J. Daniels

Style:  Burr Arch Truss

Length:  72 feet over Big Rocky Fork Creek

If you like Big Rocky Fork Bridge, follow this link to see more.

Comments