Bridges of Indiana's Counties - #39 Parke Co - Mecca (5/31)

A reflection of Mecca Covered Bridge from a nearby building.
April, 2010   dwm photo
Mecca Covered Bridge was visited twice, and I'm pretty sure it was unintentional.  When I started collecting bridges, I began in Parke County.

Just one problem, I didn't have a good way to keep track of which ones I had left.

It's the only reason I can figure for duplicate shots.  The Indiana Covered Bridge directory was given to me later, and it became my bible where I checked off each bridge as I found it.

Our first trip to Mecca (of course I needed to use that line) was in July, 2009.  Somehow we found our way back in April, 2010.

Mecca Bridge over Big Raccoon
Creek.   July, 2009  (dwm)
Some of the bridges we saw in April 2010 look more spring-like than these.

The history I found on Mecca indicates a group of settlers became known as Arabians.  When members of the group set off for the local business district, they were said to be on a journey to Mecca.

Frankly, I'm not sure either version of the story at the Parke County bridge festival website is very credible.

Mecca Bridge was closed
to traffic in 1964.
April, 2010  dwm photo
The town got its start when a sawmill was built on the Big Raccoon Creek in 1832.

Soon, there was a factory to make cloth and another sawmill.  By 1855, flatboats were floating downriver for the long trip to New Orleans with packed pork.

At the turn of the century the Indiana Sewer Pipe Company set up shop along with two clay plants which eventually employed 300 people.  In 1900, two thousand people called Mecca home.  It was the high-water mark for the town.

In 2010, 335 folks lived there.

The bridge is easy to find, right off U.S. 41 and there is plenty of room to walk around.  While it's had work done, it still has the look of a very old bridge.

Parke County
Internet image
Mecca Covered Bridge

Built:  1873

Style:  Burr Arch

Length:  150 feet over Big Raccoon Creek

Builder:  J.J. Daniels

Follow this link to see more covered bridges.

Comments