Bridges of Indiana's Counties - Hamilton Co #22 Cedar Chapel

Cedar Chapel Covered Bridge, Conner Prairie Museum
Noblesville, IN   (dwm photo)
One of the strangest stories in my hunt for Indiana's covered bridges happened close to home.

The bridge crossed Cedar Creek in DeKalb County before the development of Interstate 69 pushed it aside in 1966.

Eventually, it landed at the living history museum of Conner Prairie in Noblesville.  A grant from the Governor's office in 2001 restored it and it is now on display.

However, the day I went to shoot it, Conner Prairie's outdoor exhibit was closed.

As I had done with a couple other bridges on private property, I explained what I was doing and asked if I might have permission to walk to the bridge, get my photos and return.  The answer was no.

12/29/2011  dwm photo
So, instead of purchasing some commemorative items in the Conner Prairie Gift Shop, it was back in the car to drive down Allisonville Road.

There it was!

It wasn't a great view, but it counted.

I parked the car, set the emergency lights and walked across the ditch to the exterior fence to get as close as I could.

It was the end of December, so leaves didn't get in the way.

Hamilton County, IN
internet image
I could walk along the fence a ways to get a couple different angles, but there wasn't much variety.

It is far removed from Cedar Creek, and doesn't make the Wikipedia list of Indiana covered bridges.  It's a long way from home in DeKalb County, which is still home to the Spencerville bridge.  But, I'm guessing more folks have seen this one.

Cedar Chapel Covered Bridge
Built:  1884 in DeKalb County
Removed in 1966, sold to Conner Prairie in 1972, renovated in 2001
Style: Howe Arch Truss
Length: 110 feet over a ravine at Conner Prairie

Comments