2014 is Finished!

Milestones like birthdays, events, and special days can get us to look in the mirror and through the looking glass.

Just over the past year - there were a lot of things that I did, experienced, or enjoyed (you can guess what falls where):  a colonoscopy, Scenic Shore 150 ride, a big assignment at work, a 5k, watched games, State Fair, State Parks, and gave blood.

I also did things I didn't blog - worship, working out, and washing clothes (I needed three "W" tasks).

Looking back over the past 364 days, there was a lot to do - a lot I was blessed to experience - and much I didn't get around to doing.  That's why there is next year!  When I revisit the first blog of 2014, I found this advice from Emerson:  “Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.”  Ralph Waldo Emerson
 

You and I would be well-advised to follow Ralph's wisdom and start tomorrow fresh with the cares and worries of 2014 behind us.

Speaking of that transition, how do you celebrate the end of one year and arrival of the next?

My primary memories of New Year's Eve are from my childhood.  My folks had friends over and they brought their two kids over for the evening.  We were all around the same age and we made it our business to be awake to midnight.   And beyond.

While the moms and dads played cards and visited; we ran around and played.  As the night got longer we would rush into the bathroom to splash cold water on our faces.  Then some TV and more water and more snacks!  Since we lived in the Central Time Zone, the drop of the ball in New York came at 11pm, and we had new life from there.  One time, I think we were up until 2!

Those nights are long since past and watching a clock or calendar flip from one day to the next isn't as thrilling as it used to be.  I will mark the fact tomorrow morning when I get up for my workout... expecting more company in the gym with resolute new fitness fanatics.

Whatever you do... be safe, have fun, and Happy New Year!

Comments