Destination: Lambeau Field

This afternoon, when 3:25 Central Time rolls around, I'll be looking down on the almost Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field!

The Philadelphia Eagles (7-2) are in town to play the Packers (6-3) in a match of two of the best teams in the National Football Conference.

My Packers (which by the way, I think is a fair statement since I am an owner - with a hundred thousand others) are coming off a dominating victory over the Chicago Bears last Sunday night and a win today will be a statement to the rest of the league.

Just visiting Lambeau is a treat for a Green Bay fan, but coming into Titletown, U.S.A. for a game?  Whoa, Nellie - this is going to be special!

It was December 30, 2001 for my first and only other regular season game at Lambeau Field.  Brett Favre led the Pack to a 24-13 win over the Minnesota Vikings.

Low temps, for sure, but the sky was sunny and the temperature was 17 degrees at kick-off. Thanks to a friend letting me use his blaze orange snow suit and a pair of battery powered socks I was comfortable all afternoon.  Hot chocolate and sunshine helped a lot, too.

Years before, I attended a couple of preseason games in Green Bay - but they aren't the same as the real article.  Much earlier than that, when the Packers played part of their season in Milwaukee County Stadium, I attended two games with great seats for baseball that were just OK for football action.  Still, it was the Packers and it was N.F.L. football.

Today's game was moved back from a noon start so it could be "America's Game of the Week" on Fox.  That adds to the excitement for the game, but it also means the sun will set before the end of the contest.

I am taking layers of Packer gear along.  Packer socks, Packer t-shirts, Packer gloves, a Packer wool cap, Packer scarf, Packer leather jacket, Packer jersey, and whatever else in green and gold might keep me warm.

The game is a special bonus given to me and a couple of co-workers, so we're making the road trip to the game together.  One is looking forward to checking off Lambeau from her bucket list, and the other is a misguided Bear fan with an appreciation for the history and heritage of Lambeau.

Vince and Curly will greet us outside the Atrium.  Fighter jets from the Air Force will fly over the stadium following the National Anthem.  Our seats are behind the Packer bench near midfield.

I can't wait to tell you about it, but mostly I just can't wait.

Go Pack, Go!

Comments