Chapter 12 - Helping Hands Keep Reaching

It was after sundown - close to 10pm - before the last of the friends and neighbors wrapped up their long day of work in the fields.

As each one came inside to say good-night, John and Julie gave each one a long tear-stained hug.

The Christopherson crew wrapped up first, but since the hay had to dry a couple of days before it could be raked and baled they would be back in three days to finish the job.

The last one to wander in was Scotty.  He staggered over to the dining room chair and sat down - a weary smile on his face as he looked at me and the Johnsons.  He got all 200 acres finished and the only time he stopped was when the fuel truck from Marberg met him at the edge of the field to refuel.

John walked over, gave him a hug.  "Scotty, that was like nothing I had ever seen.  Thank you so much.  You know, when I was watching you back in high school - I never thought you would have had this in you.  But you do - I'm proud of the man you've become, Scotty.  You are a credit to your family and to this valley.  If we can ever do anything for you or your family, you let us know."

"Mr Johnson," Scotty replied, "it's my pleasure.  Dad always told us growing up how families would work together to help folks when they needed it.  Fortunately for several years now, most of us have been able to take care of our own land.

"I am praying for you, your family, and for a complete recovery.  But, Mr. Johnson, believe me when I tell you it is my pleasure and honor to be here to help.  When Harmon was in his accident a few weeks ago, everyone around helped us out and it's time to pay it forward.  We are neighbors - this is what we do."

"Scotty?"

"Yes, Mr. Johnson?"

"You can call me John."

Everyone laughed as Scotty tore into the pulled pork sandwich and a cold beverage Julie had saved from supper.

It was a good day of work, and it wouldn't be the last.  Rich had a complete timeline for the rest of the growing season for each neighbor and the local ag organizations who committed to helping the Johnson farm survive and thrive this summer.

After another round of hugs, handshakes, and tears - the traditional Midwest good-bye made it from the living room to the kitchen to the porch and finally the driveway before Scotty, Rich, and I got into our truck and tractors for the ride home.

When we got home and had the gear tucked away for the night - I gave the boys hugs of my own and told them how proud I was for the way they took charge.

As I shuffled off to get ready for bed, I started to think about else we could do - something to help the Johnson family and make a bigger impact too.

Recently, some bike friends of mine told me about a ride they were doing to raise money to fight Lymphoma and Leukemia... maybe we could do something with that and it would be fun.

My last thought before my head hit the pillow, a smile crept across my face thinking about the ride and making a difference for my friend John.

Catch up on previous chapters here.

Comments