Ride #29 - Lotsa Miles

A fog-wrapped Verona sunrise. 9/26/2026 dwm
In 2025, I passed 1,600 miles in the 31st ride of the season in late October. 
 
Last Saturday I rode past the 2025 mileage of 1,618 miles with an 87-mile trip pushing my total to 1,697.
 
It was the coolest ride since spring, according to the bike computer it was 45 degrees when I left home, and that was after waiting for it to warm up a little. 
 
Before I left, I went back inside to grab a long-sleeve t-shirt and a pair of garden gloves, I didn't take them off until it warmed into the upper 50s.
 
This was my third ride to and around Sun Prairie. The first time was when the Tancho Path was officially opened in late June and I learned about the path that made a 22-mile loop around the city.
 
Green space next to the trail. 9/26/26 dwm
 On my ride I saw a co-worker walking her dog. From previous conversations I knew she lived along Madison's Lake Loop, but was never sure about the address. If I had left at my usual time, I probably don't see her.
 
 Fifteen miles later, I saw an Oakwood resident at Kwik Trip getting a few things while I was grabbing a drink and a snack for the next part of the ride.
 
 Saturday's route bypassed downtown Madison because of construction which gave me a few more miles, it was just over 30 to reach the Sun Prairie Loop.
 
 While it's not yet time for peak color, the lawns and natural spaces looked great under sunny skies. 
 
A familiar landmark along U.S. 151. 9/26/26 dm
The loop is 22 miles. As best I can tell, the farthest point from home is the Sun Prairie Business Park which is home to a Village Hearth baking facility. Village Hearth started as Pan-O-Gold, a Wisconsin company started in 1990.
 
The large building stands on a hill next to 151 in the city's northeast corner as the city develops to the west and south.
 
From there, the loop heads west near Token Creek until turning south and back to where it connects with the Tancho Path. That's where I headed back re-tracing the 30-mile route to home.
 
At the end of my 29th ride, I'm three miles shy of 1,700. I wonder how far I can go? 
 
Tale of the Bike Computer:
Distance: 87 miles
Average Speed: 14.9 mph
Time in the Saddle: 5 hours, 51 minutes

Comments