Ride #27 - London Calling

Wrong way. 9/5/26 dwm
The Glacial Drumlin Trailhead is in Cottage Grove, a small town a few miles east of Madison. While I've taken the state trail a few times, I usually take the bike to the path by car so I can ride from Cottage Grove to Waukesha. This time my destination was London, no not that London, this one is an unincorporated community on the Dane and Jefferson county line.
 
I've made the ride to Cottage Grove a few times, but making the right turn is key. It's possible to cut off a few miles and take a more direct route into town and to the Glacial Drumlin trailhead if you turn on Vilas road. 
 
When I saw a sign with Vilas on it, I figured I missed seeing a second name on the map and took the turn. 
 
Right way. 9/5/26 dwm
 When I crossed train tracks, I had a feeling I wasn't on the right road, but followed it a bit farther. When I saw the road bend away from where I knew Cottage Grove to be, I turned around. It added at least five miles to the ride. When I got back on Highway BB, it didn't take long to see the street I really wanted (photo left). 
 
 Once I was on the actual Vilas road it looked familiar. There's a golf course on the west side of Vilas and a variety of homes on the east. The closer you get to Cottage Grove there is a nice subdivision and a city park that includes two impressive rugby fields.
 
 The first two communities on the Glacial Drumlin trail after leaving Cottage Grove are Deerfield and London. The last time I rode this trail was during the Ride Across Wisconsin went the route started in LaCrosse and ended in Milwaukee. The route joined the trail in Lake Mills, which would have been the third stop, but was farther out than I wanted for this trip.
 
The approach to London. 9/5/26 dwm
The state trail is in good shape. Most of what I rode was covered with crushed limestone completely, or in some places there was grass down the center of the path and along the edges, leaving wheel tracks.
 
Much of these sections of the trail are also covered by tree branches stretching over it. It's quiet and peaceful.
 
When I passed through Deerfield I rode down it's main street to see what was open on a Saturday morning. There was a farmer's market that had just opened; a coffee house doing brisk business; and a gas station bustling with cars at the pumps and customers going in and out.
 
The Glacial Drumlin trail in Deerfield. 9/5/26 dm
 On the ride back, I talked with a bicyclist who was completing a solo ride over a couple days from LaCrosse to Milwaukee using state trails for most of it.
 
 I gave him a tip on the best way into Cottage Grove and to watch for slippery sections where bike tires could lose their grip.
 
I spoke from experience. As I got close to one of the original train bridges that was converted literally from rails to a trail. As I applied the brake, all of a sudden the rear wheel slid out from under me and the bike fell to the left dropping my butt and left arm and leg on damp grass and dirt.
 
A train turned trail bridge. 9/5/26 dwm
I sat there a moment because it happened so fast, collecting myself and assessing whether I was hurt or not. I was fine. My feet were still on the pedals, so I untangled my legs, stood up, took the pictures I wanted, and headed down the trail.
 
The ride to Cottage Grove used much of what I took last week getting to Sun Prairie except I was going more east than north east. On the way back I used the Lower Yahara Trail to get ten more miles riding into and around McFarland before heading home after the second longest ride this year. 
 
Tale of the Bike Computer:
Distance: 98 miles
Speed: 15.8 mph
Time in the Saddle: 6 hours, 12 minutes

Comments