On Wisconsin!

Bucky towers over Union South. 9/19/26 dwm

It's was 13 seasons since I last attended a Wisconsin home football game before I took advantage of an offer of getting a ticket for $33 to a game with lots of seats available. 
 
I planned to ride my bike to the game and use the bike parking provided by the Wisconsin Bike Federation, but with rain in the forecast it made more sense to take the bus to campus and nothing I had to park. 
 
The Badgers record the last couple years and weather forecast, I'm sure were factors in the stadium being half-full. 
 
Wisconsin fell behind in the first quarter, but then found their way, scoring four touchdowns before half-time and tacking on 23 more points in the second half.
 
In the first quarter I could hear comments in the stands moaning about the team not looking like the Badgers we had been accustomed to seeing just a few years ago. Then Wisconsin's defense turned the ball over and the offense cashed it in. 
 
Bucky flies the flag. 9/19/26 dwm 
 While a 7 - 3 deficit at the end of the first had most of the remaining fans scratching their heads, the 31 - 7 margin at half-time had most of us feeling better about the situation.
 
 During the game I was keeping my eye on the radar and put on my poncho before it started to sprinkle. The garbage bag poncho doesn't cover arms below the elbow so my hands were wet and my shoes, socks, and feet were wet. 
 
 I watched the Badger band's half-time show, then considered whether I should grab a bit at a concession stand or make an early exit because I was supposed to be driving to Eau Claire by 3 o'clock and I doubted that would happen if I stuck around for the second half. 
 
Scoring in the red zone. 9/19/26 dwm
When the Badgers scored twice at the end of the half, widening the lead to 24 points, I was confident Wisconsin would hold on to the lead.
 
Beating a team from the Mid-American Conference  is expected if you are a team in the B1G power-conference, but for a squad trying to win a second straight game it was a great confidence builder.
 
The rest of the schedule features only teams in B1G, so there are no 'get-right' games left. They start with Penn State, which is ranked in the top 20 and will be a tough test for the Badgers. After the game with the Nittany Lions, there are only two games against ranked teams which could help Wisconsin find its footing. I hope it does!
 
The arch. 9/19/26 dm
 On my walk to the stadium, I got off the bus at Union South, grabbed a slice of Ian's Pizza for lunch then walked past the Camp Randall arch and around to the west side of the stadium where I climbed the yellow ramp to the upper-deck to section FF, Row 4, Seat 37. 
 
 This was the first time I was in the upper deck for a game and for me it was a good vantage point, especially with a seat practically on the 50-yard line. The next time I go, I'll look for seats there first.
 
 Meanwhile, for this season, I'll grab my seat near the TV and watch the rest of the 2026 season unfold. On Wisconsin! 

Comments