We the People... Like to Bike

6:45 am at the polls. 8/11/26 dwm

 Wisconsin is one of six states that held a primary election Tuesday. It's an opportunity for each party to determine who will be running for office in the November 3rd General Election.
 
 On the Republican side of the ballot, their gubernatorial candidate was running virtually unopposed. For the Democrats, only 4 of their 7 candidates were still in the race on election day. Considering the Democrats have held the Governor's office for two terms, it has to be disappointing for the faithful that the party was unable to rally behind one candidate before the primary.
 
 Tuesday's election produced an upset, with Milwaukee County Executive David Crowley defeating Francesa Hong by a narrow margin. Crowley is a more mainstream candidate than Hong, and the fact that out-going Governor Tony Evers is endorsing Crowley is a big push toward getting elected. 
 
 This race for Governor will say a lot about Wisconsin. The Republican candidate has represented a district in Congress who proudly wears a red m.a.g.a. hat. Crowley is an African-American Milwaukee native. He represented his city in the state legislature and was elected as the Milwaukee County Executive.  
 
Will Wisconsin elect a follower of the President, will voters choose a Black man as Governor? It will be interesting to see what happens, but we, the people, will find out!
 
The Schwinn Traveler in IL. 7/23/26 dwm
A few weeks back I wrote about Ace Bikes in Springfield, Illinois. When I needed a new bottle cage for my water, the shop had what I needed and installed the cage, which was crucial since I didn't have tools with me.
 
On that trip I had three moments when the Schwinn's chain popped off. It was quickly put back in place, it wasn't a big deal, but it's inconvenient. 
 
I was planning to use the Traveler for an upcoming visit, so before the next ride, I took it my local bike shop, Atkins, to look it over.
 
The owner, Ally, told me the chain was fine but wanted to have her dad and the former owner, Dan Atkins, to check it out. He called me Tuesday to say that the bike could use a tune-up and overhaul, but there was nothing requiring immediate attention.
 
When I stopped by to pick up my bike, I figured there would be a nominal charge for the diagnosis but there wasn't, Ally just rolled out the bike; wished me well but there was no charge.
 
That's why I take my bikes to Atkins whether it needs a steam-cleaning, tune-up, or new parts. I trust them with both of my bikes and count on them to keep me on the local trails. 

Comments