![]() |
| Cristina Gottardi on Unsplash |
Now, how old are you to be considered a 'senior' citizen? In my mind, it's relative. As far as perspective, if you are in your 60s, but are healthy and able to live how you like and do the things you want, you probably don't worry about such things.
19-percent of the United States population is 65 or older, that's roughly 60-million people!
I've been a member of the American Association of Retired Persons since I turned 50. I'm not retired and don't plan on retiring soon.
Many people equate becoming a senior citizen with turning 65 which is when you are likely eligible to sign up for Medicare or start receiving retirement benefits. I'm also planning to postpone drawing on retirement funds, but have learned that a part of Medicare requires you to register even if you don't plan to use all of its benefits.
While I'm in the neighborhood of that number, I'm still a few calendars away from reaching it.
Another part of feeling old, if we're equating that with becoming a senior citizen, seems to depend on our physical abilities. I'm more active now than I was five and ten years ago. When I take part in organized bike rides, it seems to me I'm still much younger than many others.
It's been my privilege to work in a retirement community more than 14 years now and I'm regularly inspired by many residents who are more active and engaged than I am.
Becoming a senior doesn't mean you're infirm or elderly - illness and injury is a bigger factor in becoming either, not than having a birthday.
Senior Citizens continue to redefine their age and horizons - I remember as a boy that 50 year wedding anniversaries were a big deal because the milestone was rarely reached. Forty years later, both spouses frequently are living actively in their 80s and 90s. That's impressive!

Comments
Post a Comment