Ride 17 - Going for 50

My turn-around point. 7/18/26 dwm

 I didn't expect a let-up in Wisconsin's ongoing heat wave but when I heard the forecast say that the smoky haze that's been a near constant presence the past week, it was my cue to ride.
 
 In an effort to get ahead of the heat, I planned to leave early, and was on my way just after 6.
 
 There was sunshine early then clouds filled the sky and effectively kept the temperatures in the 70s for the three-hour ride. It was a welcome respite. I didn't notice any smoke or smell any of it either.
 
 For the ride I brought along an Uncrustable PB&J and a granola bar, then stopped on the return trip for a Kwik Trip donut and the little energy burst it provided. In my bottle was a combination of Zero lemon lime Gatorade and water.
 
A Sand hill crane family. 7/18/2026 dwm
This ride is all about the mileage and less about the route; when the odometer reads 25.1, I turn around and head for home.
 
During my rides last Monday (16 - included in My Week - July 17) and yesterday I noticed that there was virtually no breeze other than what you create on the bike. 
 
Other than having a tailwind in all directions, light breezes to calm conditions are the best way to ride but it's hard to count on.
 
Tale of the Bike Computer
Distance: 50 miles
Average Speed: 16.2 mph
Time in the Saddle: Three hours, six minutes
 
This ride puts me over 1,000 on the year - while I don't have records - I'm 100% certain I've never reached 1,000 miles this early in the year. Whew. 

Comments