Heritage

Internet image
 It's German-American Day. My grandparents were born in the United States, I believe my great-grandparents came to the U.S. from Germany more than 120 years ago. Most Germans migrated between 1820 and World War I, the earliest settlers arrived in the 17th century.

 Several German things quickly became American, beer and bratwurst (among other sausages), Kindergarten (started in Wisconsin), and Santa Claus.

 The Mossners settled near Frankenmuth, Michigan. I don't have any close relatives there now, but as a kid my grandpa's sisters were still living in that area. I met their kids, my dad's cousins. The last time we visited was after our first child was born, more than 35 years ago.

My mom's family also came over from Germany. We used to claim 100% Germanic roots, but if you've watched genealogy shows, like "Finding Your Roots" on PBS, I've noticed virtually no one in the 21st century has roots from just one country or ethnic group.

I have roots in Germany but its not something I think of frequently. I'm stubborn, a quality ascribed to Germans; and tend to like foods from Germany (not all of them, I'm still a picky eater). 

My grandpa was in his teens and early 20s during World War I when German-Americans were harassed and treated poorly. He changed his first name to Ralph, instead of Rudolph, and Americanized the pronunciation of our last name, to moss, like on a tree.

The debacle and horrific tragedy brought on by the German government leading into and through the Second World War is a reason many German Americans don't fly the flag of their heritage.

We're all from somewhere, unless you are Native American, in which case, this land, as the song says, is YOUR land.

Comments