Trip 25 - Making It

Sandhill cranes are a common sight. 8/25/2024 dwm
 I didn't ride as far as usual Saturday because of other plans so I wanted to get in a Sunday ride. 

 Sunday was expected to be more summer-like than the last week, so it made sense to be another early day.

 Just before 6 I was on my way again with a protein shake in-hand and an Uncrustable PB&J sandwich in the bike bag.

 It took 30-minutes before I saw the sun, just as I was crossing Fish Hatchery Road on a bike/pedestrian overpass.

 Sunday's ride was the same distance as Saturday but my other go-to track when there is limited time to get miles on the computer as fast as possible.

Sunday morning sunrise. 8/25/2024 dwm photo
There wasn't a lot of traffic on the trail heading east to McFarland. After turning around at 7 I saw more people out and about.

I'm accustomed to seeing sandhill cranes around Wisconsin and in the city of Madison but Sunday I had my closest encounter.

The Lower Yahara River trail joins the Capital City trail before it crosses Lake Farm road and that's where I saw a couple of birds (photo upper left).

I slowed to a stop 15-feet away, got off the bike on the side farthest from them to grab my phone to take some shots. The birds barely blinked. I wasn't surprised, figuring they've grown comfortable with people and bikes. Don't be fooled, the birds can do some damage if you get too close!

The spot I hit 1,,000 in 2024. 8/25/24 dwm

 I reached a milestone on the ride, hitting 1,000 miles on the year (photo left).

 That's a lot sooner than last year when I was taking cool rides in October in pursuit of the number. My bike season started much earlier this year and the weather cooperated. 

 The first goal reached, I'm looking to get another 500 miles before the season ends. When I refer to a season, I don't usually go out if it's cloudy and less than 45 degrees because I just don't have the right gear for cold weather rides.

 The 25th trip was the second of two 32-mile rides over the weekend, pushing the 2024 total to 1,009.  Keep on riding!

Comments