Trip 18 - A Brand New Trail

Sunrise over the Military Ridge Trail. 7/13/24 dwm
Summer re-asserted it's place with a sunny and hot weekend that began with overnight lows only reaching the 60s.

Because of the heat, I decided an early departure was in order. At 5:30 I was on my way, looking for the newest stretch of bike trail in Dane County.

It's a two-mile stretch between Fish Camp County Park and Lake Kegonsa State Park north of Stoughton.

It's a key section of what will eventually be a path from Lake Farm County Park in Madison through McFarland to Stoughton.

Before I could worry about finding the trail, there was a 16-mile ride across Madison and Fitchburg to McFarland.

Early on the Capital City Trail. dwm
 It's familiar territory but it's interesting to see how it changes depending on time of year, weather, and time of day. As I came around a curve the sun was straight in front of me creating a glow during the golden hour that photographers love (photo left).

 After a couple quick shots I remounted the bike headed for McDaniel Park and a short break before searching for Creamery Road. I generally know where I'm going but I don't always know street names, which was a minor problem.

 I knew the road ran west to east through McFarland but wasn't sure where I expected to find it. I asked a gentleman walking his dog where Creamery road was and he didn't know, but he did say how to reach County Highway AB, the road that would take me to the new trail. 

 After following his directions, I found myself on the right track, which was Creamery Road. The intersection where I headed south looking for it took me right over Creamery. I won't forget that street again.

Phase Two of the Lower Yahara Trail. 71324 dwm
County Highway AB wasn't busy at this time of day and it was just a couple miles before I reached the entrance to Fish Camp park. 

Thiat's where the Yahara River empties into Lake Kegonsa. There are two boat landings, one for canoes and kayaks and another for boats used for fishing or pleasure.

It's near the boat ramp that the Yahara River trail starts it's two miles with stretches of smooth asphalt and a boardwalk that seems to float above the wetlands.

It's beautiful. 

Given the heat, it may not have been a pleasant walk because the mosquitos were making their presence known, but I wasn't bothered on the bike.

A beautiful stretch of boardwalk. 7/13/24 dwm
 Just out of view in the photo at left is a high-voltage power line. What attracted my attention was an eagle nest at the top of one with what looked like a small bush or tree growing out of it. I noticed birds in the nest but couldn't identify them and didn't see eagles in the air.

 At the end of the boardwalk the path climbs a hill into Lake Kegonsa State Park. On the top I saw a doe and three fawns grazing, they looked at me once, then returned to eating.

  After reaching the trailhead in the park, I reversed course, this time coming upon a doe and fawn, who were not startled but made their way down the hill as I slowly rode behind them. Their running and jumping, especially by the fawn, was delightful.

After this test ride, I'm plan to come back, this time riding through the park and south
The east end of phase 2. dwm
to Stoughton. That stretch and the miles between McFarland and Fish Camp park are in the planning stages but so far the county doesn't own the land to finish the job.

While it will be great when it's complete, these two sections make the ride from Stoughton to Madison, or the other direction, feasible because cyclists can avoid U.S. Highway 51, a busy 2-line road with highway speeds. I've been on short sections of 51 on a previous ride to Stoughton. If there had been an alternative, I'm sure we would have used it.

When I turned around in the park I was just short of 25-miles, at least one of those miles spent driving around McFarland looking for Creamery road. The trip back home was just 22 miles.

The odometer reached 47 as I pulled into the driveway, an average of 15.5 miles per hour, for the year the new total is 709.

Below is a photo of a map showing the new section. I placed a black X at the entrance to Fish Camp County Park.

 From "You are here" a future phase of the trail will connect to Stoughton. 7/13/24 dwm

Comments