My Week that Was - July 13

Madison's official bird. 7/6/24 dwm
 The week started in the middle of a four-day holiday weekend. After my morning workout, I took a 35-mile ride around town getting home just past ten.

 There were a few small projects around the house and a couple errands to run before I settled in for the day.

 As the week began I was still at the alternative gym. It's a nice place to exercise, it just isn't home.

 Monday we put the finishing touches on the summer newsletter with a mailing list ready. That's the last piece to send the printer before they finish the proof and print 1,200 issues.

 I made ten calls Monday, setting up three appointments. There was time to work on story ideas for the next writing project. They may not make it all the way to a finished article but I have to start somewhere.

On the way home, I stopped by Sports Clips for a cut. A new stylist took good care of me. I was impressed by her attention to detail. Because Sport Clips is a Red Cross sponsor I had a coupon for a free haircut in the month of July. Thanks, Sport Clips!

Wednesday was the first pizza party this year on the University Woods campus. There was a strong turn-out of new residents and floor representatives. It was a full house. The primary purpose is to introduce the foundation and (hopefully) making a good impression before meeting most of these people for the first time.

Thursday afternoon another volunteer and I gave 15 or 16 rides on and around the University Woods campus of Oakwood Village. It was sunny and warm. Residents lined up and were ready to go. One woman that rode with me enjoyed her first ride around the campus, admiring the nature preserve and the abundant flowers across the grounds. 

When I got to work Friday, I followed my usual path, checking a second mailbox we have just in case there was something in it, then up a flight of stairs to the office on the second floor. As I turned to climb the last few steps, I saw two eyes looking at me. 

It was a mouse, trapped on the third step, not able to go up and afraid to go down. I went to the office to put my stuff down,.

I don't have tools in our office, so I thought how I could get the mouse off the stairs before more people arrived. There is a partial kitchen on the floor with a broom closet, if it was still there, it might work. There was and so was a long-handled dustpan. 

Tools in hand I went back to the steps where the little guy was pressed into a corner of the stairs where it met the wall. I opened the dust pan and slid it toward the mouse. Not interested, the mouse pressed farther back iuntil I used the broom to gently persuade it into the pan, then slowly lifted it for the trip outside. 

The mouse didn't scamper out when I set it on the grass. A gentle lift of the dustpan was enough for the mouse to slide out and on to the grass. After a second, it took off across the lawn.

This next week is going to hot and humid here - I hope you find a nice place to escape the heat - have a great week!

Comments