Appreciate Artificial Intelligence?

Facebook image
 Artificial intelligence was first recognized in 1943 by scientists working on an early computer. 

 Whether it's a prompt while shopping online that you may also like "this product" or getting advice on social media site that you may like this person.

 When you write an email, the system you use offers to finish a sentence. That used to be how you knew you connected with someone, now it's A.I.

 Last year I was struck with writer's block; as an idea, I used a chatbot to get me started. I typed in "thank you to a generous donor" and it gave me 150 words in 20 seconds.

I didn't print it, but it gave me something to think about and a short time later, I had a letter ready to go. There are a few applications where it seems logical to use a basic formula, "If 'a' happens, do 'b'" to get things done quickly.

Today is the day to appreciate the men and women making programs that will make things happen faster and do things safer than they are done now. Artificial intelligence can operate machines to do things that are unsafe for humans. As far as appreciation goes, I appreciate uses which are programmed ethically and create fail-safes that prevent a program from going off the rails.

A.I. is here to stay. That's mostly a good thing, as long as we run it and not the other way around. 


Comments