5 Year Trial

Logo developed in July 2020
It was around this time five years ago I signed up to learn more about working as a voice actor.

It wasn't going to replace my day job but I hoped it would be a nice side-gig and potential road to something to stay busy with when I retired.

The training class began in late 2019. When Covid shut down almost everything, my classes continued because they were already happening on Skype. 

The professional audition was set for a local studio, but Covid made it impossible. Instead I had a producer from the east coast and an engineer someplace else (Pennsylvania, I think) while I spoke into a mic in my office.

I made a sketch of what I wanted as a logo and worked with a local company to get a product that could be used for my website and in print. I worked with a web developer in Alabama to design the site and get it up and running.

I joined two "pay to play" services that would send information on people or companies looking for a voice that matched my description (middle America, warm voice, mature). I auditioned hundreds of times. One service told me when I was a finalist, but, alas, never selected. The other service only contacted the talent if they were chosen, Nope, that didn't happen either.

Twice I had scammers send emails claiming to be interested in what I brought to the microphone. Thankfully, I realized something was fishy before losing money. 

I dropped the second of the two talent sites six months ago because it was clear I wasn't going to make enough to stay in the game. 

I could have done more marketing of my business. As Covid-19 lingered with restrictions on in-person visits, I didn't make the personal appeals that might have gotten me an opportunity. My one paying gig was as an emcee for a fundraising event, it was fun.

The whole experience was good and I'm glad I did it. Thanks to the investment I made in equipment I made dozens of videos that are available on my YouTube channel and for work. I'll continue doing that and I'm still interested in trying again when the time is right.

Comments