Ready for Takeoff

Under new ownership, just as good. 6/15/24 dwm
It's been a long time since we've eaten at the Jet Room. This was the first time since before Covid-19 and possibly only our third time ever, based on pictures I have on file.

There is something cool about watching planes takeoff and land. Dad and I used to go to the Rock County airport when I was little to watch planes from a roadside park that was next to the fence.

Everyone in the restaurant can watch the action through large floor to ceiling windows but it was nicer by the window.

Ironically, we saw planes taking off and landing as we parked the car, but once inside it was twenty minutes before we saw a private plane take off. It was longer before we saw a commercial jet.

The Co-Pilot omelette. 6/15/24 dwm
 My better-half ordered an omelette, I went with pancakes and bacon. 

 Just a few people were in the dining room when we arrived but when we left there were people waiting.

 It's a weekend tradition at many small and mid-size airports for private pilots to fly in for a meal. When we lived in Janesville in the early 1990s, they occasionally ran out of room on the tarmac because of the crowd of planes landing for breakfast.

 Living in Madison, it's a short drive to enjoy the sights and sounds at the airport over breakfast. 

My favorite visit was in 2016, when I received one of the restaurant's specialties, the "$100 Burger." It would be fun to get another, but the memories from then continue to run brightly in my mind.

The only jet we saw land. 6/15/24 dwm

You will likely see more commercial or military air traffic than we did on your trip to the Jet Room. The jet we saw is part of Breeze Airways, which according to its website, began service in 2021 between secondary hubs across the United States (most of them east of the Mississippi).

I hadn't heard of the airline before Saturday and neither had the person working the register in the restaurant. It seems like a good concept to me, I hope they do well.

The food was good, the service attentive and efficient, and the experience positive; we won't wait as long before our next landing.

Comments