My Week that Was - June 15

Lake Waubesa. 6/9/2024 dwm photo
The week started as usual, with a morning workout, then we got dressed and headed northeast to the Blue Star Dairy Farms outside DeForest. for Dane County's Breakfast on the Farm.

We had a memorable experience spending much of the morning there. On the way home we decided to get lunch from a weekly pop-up stand at Miller's Grocery in Verona where a high school group was selling brats.

Sunday after church, I hit the road for the eleventh ride of the year, completing a 41-mile trip.

Monday morning I joined three residents for their 9 o'clock walk. Prior to Covid-19, I joined the group at least one Monday a month. Since Covid, I haven't been on campus every Monday and when I was there, I didn't always have time to join them. 

It was nice walking around the campus. The four of us quickly became two pairs, I walked with a resident I've known for years, hearing about her son and grandchildren and talking about the Brewers and Badgers (she's one of the most avid-sports fans I've met).

Tuesday was busy. I had a meeting in the morning about one of our publications, trying to narrow down the topics to what we want to feature. In the afternoon, I helped a donor with an IRA gift; started working on birthday cards for the next quarter; and prepared for a donor dinner that evening.

The dinner went well. The people working in the kitchen do a wonderful job on special dinners, Atlantic salmon and pork cutlets were the entree options after crab cakes as an appetizer. Dessert was miniature macaroons and bite-size cheesecakes. The reviews were positive, guests enjoyed the meal and experience.

Thursday's forecast called for rain throughout the day. We had rain before 6 in the morning that came down hard for a bit but after that the rain went around us.  When I went to work I expected the rides to be rained out, but when 1 o'clock rolled around, I gave my first ride. 

Afterwards, I had a stack of mail to sign, seal, and deliver. Then there was tying up details for a mid-year grant and information for three donors about potential gifts.

Friday was a day off and a perfect for a ride. It was my longest trip of the year, and fitting preparation for the next one. Before I headed home, I stopped for lunch at the Golden Arches (double hamburger and small chocolate shake) to refuel after four hours on the bike. From there I stopped by Atkins Bike shop to pick up a spare inner tube. I've carried a spare for several years now, I don't have a lot of flats but it's nice to fix one when it happens. Then I went home, just a hair over 68 miles on the bike computer.

The afternoon was quiet, hydrating and taking it easy.  I hope that's a good description of your next week, have a good one!

Comments