Down by the Mill

Hyde Mill. 5/4/2024 dwm photo

Prior to the pandemic, I didn't know about Hyde Mill. 

It was June 1, 2020 when we 'discovered' the landmark for ourselves. Since then, we've returned 8 times, camera in hand. I've been there at least once each season, trying to capture all of them.

Saturday was the first time there was work in progress on the mill. Two men were working on the water wheel, replacing or repairing the blades so the water can spin it.

I was late to the party on the mill, joining large numbers of fans, photographers, and tourists who travelIowa County back-roads to see it.

Shot from middle of bridge on Old Mill Rd. 5/5/24 dwm
 Most of my pictures were taken in the morning with a few trips timed to arrive closer to noon when the sun finally reaches the historic site. 
 
 The time-frame I'm missing is later in the day before the sun falls behind the hills.
 
 I took the exit off U.S. Highway 151 to Ridgevue road but instead of taking County HHH into Ridgeway, we took the scenic route up and down big hills, winding up at County Y where I chose to turn right. A few miles later I stopped where the road met County H, which I recognized as just a few miles south of the mill.
 
Mill Creek falls over the Hyde dam. 5/4/24 dwm
Once you finish taking pictures, I recommend heading east on Mill road past the house that was home to early millers.

Stay on Mill road, then turn right on County T, following it to Barneveld. 
 
One of these times, we'll have to stop in the Hyde store which is a short distance from the mill. I suspect it has a lot of local flavor.
 
Nine trips down, I know there are more to come!


Comments